VOGONS

First post, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

As most people on these forums know, if you have a 286 or better CPU, you can make use of extended memory and do all kinds of handy things,
like load dos into HIGH, UMB and load additional DOS drivers and TSRs into there too, to save as much conventional memory as possible (640kb).

I was wondering if there are any tricks to get more conventional memory or do similar things as above,
on systems with 8086 or 80186 CPUs, which have expanded memory. I have 1MB of expanded memory ony my 80186 CPU based system,
and besides the availability of 1MB of expanded memory, everything is normal, i have about 580kb of conventional memory available after boot and loading
all the device drivers/TSRs I need.

Is there any way to move anything into expanded memory and free up conventional memory?
Maybe using some exotic software tools, drivers or memory managers someone has developed over the years that's still around ?

Interested in hearing what you all have to say,
and if there are ways to get more conventional memory freed up 😀

Terrence

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 1 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, yes.

Some programs can use EMS, which makes them use less conventional memory.

Some motherboard chipsets do feature EMS, but also can repurpose the EMS page frame (the EMS "window") as a 64KB UMB.

UMBs are also available in a PC/XT system.
However, it often requires installing a physical RAM board that makes memory in the 640 to 1MB tange available.

Such a card looks like this, for example :

ct1.jpg
Filename
ct1.jpg
File size
273.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source: Re: 80x86/Vxx PC emulators with x87, EMS, UMBs and no artificial 640KiB limit ?

Alternatively, you can use that 1MB card from Lo-Tech..

Last, but not least, a genuine Hercules board can be used to make 64KB available.

Edit : Umbherc.sys requirements ?

If the system uses CGA graphics only, conventional memory can be increased up to 736KB.
Often without much trickery, by the way.
That setup was quite common in the mid-80s, before EGA/VGA got in the way. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-03, 21:30:
Hi, yes. […]
Show full quote

Hi, yes.

Some programs can use EMS, which makes them use less conventional memory.

Some motherboard chipsets do feature EMS, but also can repurpose the EMS page frame (the EMS "window") as a 64KB UMB.

UMBs are also available in a PC/XT system.
However, it often requires installing a physical RAM board that makes memory in the 640 to 1MB tange available.

Such a card looks like this, for example :
ct1.jpg

Source: Re: 80x86/Vxx PC emulators with x87, EMS, UMBs and no artificial 640KiB limit ?

Alternatively, you can use that 1MB card from Lo-Tech..

Last, but not least, a genuine Hercules board can be used to make 64KB available.

Edit : Umbherc.sys requirements ?

If the system uses CGA graphics only, conventional memory can be increased up to 736KB.
Often without much trickery, by the way.
That setup was quite common in the mid-80s, before EGA/VGA got in the way. 😀

Unfortunately I can't do those things as I'm not using a PC with options like add-on boards and hercules cards etc 😉

I'm using a HP 200 LX palmtop with MS-DOS 5.0 on it (although I do have a directory with most MS-DOS 6.22 executables in it)
It's got 2MB ram, 640KB conventional MS-DOS RAM, etc...
and it's got a 1.2MB ram drive.
I'm using a specific tool (a config.sys device driver) for the LX that creates expanded memory in MS-DOS,
from a data/swap file on the ramdrive of the palmtop.
I created a 1 MB data file for it and now, the output of the mem command is 640KB conventional memory with about ~580KB of it available,
and 1MB of expanded memory, ready for use.
The system has a 80186 CPU (equiv to a 8086) and uses standard CGA graphics...

Are you aware of any software tools or trickery so i can increase my conventional memory to be more than ~580, by using the expanded memory that's available ???

Thanks,
Terrence

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 3 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
radiance32 wrote on 2021-03-04, 00:50:

Are you aware of any software tools or trickery so i can increase my conventional memory to be more than ~580, by using the expanded memory that's available ???

Thanks,
Terrence

Hi Terrence! I see, makes sense. You can try out "The Last Byte Memory Manager".
It turns the EMS page frame into an UMB, so you can load drivers high.

Re: Headland HT12/A 286 chipset: UMB driver?

Not sure if it is compatible with your handheld, though.

I tried The Last Byte on a 286 once, but it has been a while. 😅
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9KrPNis-Q

Good luck! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best cards to use for this support EEMS or LIM 4.0. They support page frames larger than 64kb, and in the case of EEMS (used on AST products) they don't have to be contiguous. It's also possible to configure these cards to do EMS and provide UMB RAM simulaneously.
There are utilities available from Quarterdeck that let you load all kinds of stuff into UMB, including most of DOS. Using some tricks I was able to free up most of the 640k with all my drivers loaded.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-04, 05:02:
Hi Terrence! I see, makes sense. You can try out "The Last Byte Memory Manager". It turns the EMS page frame into an UMB, so you […]
Show full quote
radiance32 wrote on 2021-03-04, 00:50:

Thanks,
Terrence

Hi Terrence! I see, makes sense. You can try out "The Last Byte Memory Manager".
It turns the EMS page frame into an UMB, so you can load drivers high.

Re: Headland HT12/A 286 chipset: UMB driver?

Not sure if it is compatible with your handheld, though.

I tried The Last Byte on a 286 once, but it has been a while. 😅
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9KrPNis-Q

Good luck! ^^

Thanks, it's stuff like this I was looking for 😀
I'll try it out tomorrow 😀

Cheers,
Terrence

Reply 6 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-03-04, 07:04:

The best cards to use for this support EEMS or LIM 4.0. They support page frames larger than 64kb, and in the case of EEMS (used on AST products) they don't have to be contiguous. It's also possible to configure these cards to do EMS and provide UMB RAM simulaneously.
There are utilities available from Quarterdeck that let you load all kinds of stuff into UMB, including most of DOS. Using some tricks I was able to free up most of the 640k with all my drivers loaded.

Please read about my setup in my 2nd post, I'm not using a PC with EMS add-on boards,
but a HP 200LX Palmtop with virtual expanded memory using a data/swap-file...

Anyways, I'm looking for ways to load dos, drivers and TSR's etc... into expanded memory... using tricks and/or software...

Terrence

Reply 7 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi "anonymous coward" 😀 (LOL funny name),

Thanks for your reply,
What are the actual names of the "utilities" you mention from quarterdeck that allow the use of expanded memory for things such as loading drivers and/or DOS into the UMB area, so I can free up conventional memory?
I'd like to see if I can find that software and try out what you mentioned...

Cheers,
Terrence

Reply 8 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is QRAM the best from Quarterdeck for an 808x system?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9 of 14, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would run a memory address tool to see what actually has memory in the 1mb address range.

Considering you have 2mb of memory it’s possible some of it exists or is addressable without any drivers loaded in the lower 1mb space.

If so you can manually load drivers in whatever free memory blocks that exist and forgo your Ram drive and ems

Reply 10 of 14, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote a umb.sys for my tandy 1000sx, so I can use umb's and higher ram. EMS eats a lot of ram and not a lot of things actually use EMS. (its good for say norton ncache2). but you can sacrifice ems, get 64kb page frame back and use it for UMB memory.

umb requires dos5 or higher. if your running dos3.3 I wrote some tools to map UMB memory into the low memory chain so you can still use upper memory like normal.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 11 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did this 13 years ago, so I don't remember anymore. But, I documented it on vcfed:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-12685.html

BTW, I am pretty sure somebody discovered a more straightforward way of going about it somewhat later.

Reply 12 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-03-08, 02:48:

I did this 13 years ago, so I don't remember anymore. But, I documented it on vcfed:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-12685.html

BTW, I am pretty sure somebody discovered a more straightforward way of going about it somewhat later.

THanks for the link, that's some really good information right there,
i'm gonna give it a go on my 200lx 😉

Terrence

Last edited by radiance32 on 2021-03-08, 21:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try DOSMAX. I never got around to testing it out, but it sounds like it might be easier to work with than DOS-UP.SYS

Reply 14 of 14, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-03-08, 03:16:

Try DOSMAX. I never got around to testing it out, but it sounds like it might be easier to work with than DOS-UP.SYS

I read about dosmax in the manual for the last byte memory manager (which does'nt work on my hp200lx, it requires a real floppy drive to check what memory controller chipset you have, and the 200lx does'nt have a floppy, so it flat out refuses to detect the chipset and install, and i have no clue what kind of chipset it would find, and it probably won't find something it supports as it's not a proper PC with a common motherboard chipset)

I've added dosmax to my (very long) list of stuff to check out 😀

Thanks for the info!,
Terrence