VOGONS

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know I’ve posted a few times asking for help lately but I’m just really stumped with some of this stuff. I can’t get Ethernet working in my Inspiron 2500. It has the port for it but windows 98 both doesn’t detect any missing devices and any of the 10/100 drivers I installed from the Dell page for this laptop don’t seem to work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MoG91 wrote on 2021-03-07, 04:12:

I know I’ve posted a few times asking for help lately but I’m just really stumped with some of this stuff. I can’t get Ethernet working in my Inspiron 2500. It has the port for it but windows 98 both doesn’t detect any missing devices and any of the 10/100 drivers I installed from the Dell page for this laptop don’t seem to work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

This is likely because there is no actual Ethernet card installed . Apparently, the port is always physically there, but the mini PCI card required to make it work was an optional extra . Your Inspiron 2500 likely does not have it installed .

See https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Int … ll/td-p/3230747

Reply 2 of 2, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-07, 04:33:
MoG91 wrote on 2021-03-07, 04:12:

This is likely because there is no actual Ethernet card installed . Apparently, the port is always physically there, but the mini PCI card required to make it work was an optional extra . Your Inspiron 2500 likely does not have it installed .

See https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Int … ll/td-p/3230747

Oh! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that