VOGONS

First post, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Board:
AOpen AX6BC Slot 1

PSU & Case:
I have a decent modern (if not exactly new) ATX PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET and a standard full ATX case, with the usual front panel stuff: power sw, reset sw, power led, etc

Consulting the Manual:
http://support.docstar.com/portal/docstar/tec … BC%20Manual.pdf
(Refer to Page 19)
Relevant section:
"ATX Soft-Power Switch
Locate the power switch cable from your ATX Housing. It is 2-pin female connector from the housing front panel. Plug this connector to the soft-power switch connector marked SPWR."

Question:
How do I/Can I make the above work together?

I ask because I've got the PSU plugged into the motherboard (used the "swing-out" feature of the ATX 24pin connector to convert it to a 20 pin connector) and I tried plugging the case's POWER SW cable into the SPWR header on the motherboard in both orientations, and pressing the power yields.....nothing. I tried the RESET SW cable as well and pressing the Reset button on the case also does nothing. I know sometimes you can use a screwdriver to short connections on a motherboard to turn things on (I've done so numerous times on modern boards) but I don't know enough about boards of this vintage to feel comfortable trying that.

I've tried some Google Fu on this and I'm not coming back with much. Reading further and I see that much has been made of old school AT power supplies and their built-in "power on" wire + momentary switch. I've seen pictures, etc, but this doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. I even have an AT power supply in a Socket 7 board which is working fine, though it doesn't have any sort of switch other than the main power switch on the back which turns the whole machine on. It uses the old LPX style motherboard power connectors though, so it would not be of any use here.
I have a few other power supplies available, but I suspect they will all also have the same issue.

I suspect there is some critical knowledge I am missing, and I thought I would ask the kind folks here at Vogons.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance you may be able to provide.

Reply 1 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe someone knows better than me, but I am not aware of a different kind of momentary power switch than what we have today. The most likely scenario is that the motherboard is defective.

You can try bridging the switch with a screw driver. I would look at the caps around the power delivery.

Reply 2 of 17, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you double-checked the pin placement in your motherboard manual? I say this, because sometimes they can be labelled one way, and then appear to be one pin off on the actual board.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or use a pencil. Use them often to do a hard reset (the graphite in the "lead" is like a 100 ohm resistor/switch.
Couple of things. The Power On uses a momentary contact switch like all ATX powered boards (like a reset switch or door bell push botton <sorry could not resist>: only connects when pushed).
Other thing is that your PSU should be good but some older boards do not like the newer ATX12v standards (that Seasonic is ATX12V V2.3) so it may may not power up when connected to an older motherboard that expects ATX12v 2.0
Have had issues with newer supplies not powering up on an older board, doubt that is the issue but could be...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum! 😃

The ATX Soft-Power-Switch works the same as on any modern PC. Shorting the contacts briefly will make the onboard circuitry start the PSU. You can also use a screwdriver just like on a modern motherboard.
Have you checked the CMOS jumper? Having it in the wrong position sometimes prevents the system from showing any signs of life.

Other than that you could try to take the mobo out of the case and connect only the PSU to see wether it starts like this. Then add a CPU and try again, then RAM, then an AGP video card and so on until you have all components you want assembled and working. Lastly take it apart and reassemble in the case. If it stops working at any point you know where to investigate.

Reply 5 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the power supply plugged in and switched on ? Is the extension cord into which the psu is plugged in, plugged in ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 17, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Much like the famous "Have you tried a clean boot?" I should have first attempted to do one component at a time, and I shall try this first (after checking for CMOS jumper positioning)
Fingers crossed the one Slot 1 CPU I have (also untested) works
Thank you for letting me know I could use a screwdriver to jump the pins without worry, and than you for letting me know SPWR works the same as a modern POWER SW header.
And yes, though it does seem obvious, everything is plugged in and switched on as it should be (I work Enterprise IT, and have definitely asked grown adults this question before with a straight face 😀
Sadly I do not have an older ATX PSU to test with, and also sadly, I am, all-too-prepared for the potentiality that this board may be dead.

Thank you all again for your assistance. I shall try it out tonight and report back.

Reply 7 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Component by component *outside the case* . Somehow contacting/shorting against the case is a common cause of this sort of issue. With older hardware things can be bent out of shape so this is more likely than with new systems.

Other things to take into account:
- if it looks 'dead', the problem could be a corrupt/misflashed BIOS. I have an EEPROM programmer and if boards look dead with no clear cause, I always re-flash the EEPROM and if that fails substitute a different one. That frequently resurrects the boards (last week saved a K7T Turbo that way)
- The CPU might not be compatible with the board. Exactly which CPU is it? And which revision AX6BX? Early AX6BC boards didn't support Coppermine CPUs (later P3 "E" or "EB" CPUs). Trying to boot with one would make it look dead. Also some mid-revision AX6BC could support Coppermine but only after BIOS update which may not have been performed.

Reply 8 of 17, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone has already suggested checking the clear CMOS jumper, if that is in the clear position, it can prevent the board from starting at all.

Some motherboards also have a jumper for powering the system on by keyboard, so check the manual if perhaps this board has one of those. If set to turn on by keyboard, it will disable turning on through the power switch. I've usually seen it on boards older than this, but it doesn't hurt to double check. On other boards this function could also be controlled through BIOS, so if you haven't yet, try clearing it.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check if the pins of the SWPR header pins even have the correct voltage between them (usually 5V, I've seen 3.3V as well). You can also check if the power supply is sending the power good signal (pin 8 on the ATX connector, grey wire, should go to 5V shortly after the power supply switches on).

Reply 9 of 17, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should have specified: *outside* the case, component by component
The CPU is a Pentium II 233, which is the "default" CPU for this board, per the manual (There's a section in there somewhere about modifying the multiplier and bus frequency(?) depending on which CPU you have, and the 1st one listed was 3.5x and (some freq I can't remember) for the P II 233

This may sound bad (cuz it is) but I did actually drop this CPU once, from about 4 feet up, onto my concrete basement floor. There is an external cooler (fins and fans) on the outside of it and I think they took the brunt of the shock. As silly as this sounds typing it out: would anyone hazard any kind of guess as to how shock resistant the CPU might be?

Looks like I might need to get a voltmeter :p

I'm also going to scour every jumper setting on the board as it currently is and compare against what the manual suggests it be set to

Definitely going to go clear the CMOS. I believe the procedure for it was also in the manual (unplug PSU, switch it off, unplug the ATX power cable, set the jumper, unset the jumper, put the ATX connector back, plug the machine back in and turn it on)

Reply 10 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the famous drop test 😜

Tbh it's tricky. If you have a minimal set of known-good components you can locate issues very quickly. If not it's more challenging. Know anyone in the vicinity who might have a slot 1 system?

Reply 11 of 17, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another Slot 1 board on the way from fleabay as we speak. (Had ordered it a day before I stumbled across this one on CL)
Still only have the one Slot 1 CPU to test with (And I really don't want to buy another one)
I will presume that that one is functional and if it does the same thing as this one (nothing, not even fan activity) then I will consider that the CPU is toast and drop a few more dollars on a replacement CPU.
My pile of computer crap is growing ever larger and my wife's patience ever thinner 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what the question is. If the newly build PC won't POST, then it's time to start the troubleshooting. This isn't much different from modern systems imo, since it's also ATX.

Take it out of the case and try to start her with minimal parts added. You mention being an IT techy so you should know the drill 😜
I'd first try out a different PSU (one which you can plug into the 20p power connector on your board).

Regarding the dropped Pentium 2 CPU, if you mention it dropped onto the fan part then the CPU itself may have been undamaged. But the HSF might have been damaged (should be able to see if there is any sign of obvious damage. Especially look for cracks or parts that have dislodged due to the impact force).
One thing you might want to try is to remove the heatsink (can be difficult especially if the CPU is boxed), then look for any (obvious) signs of damage and then reinstall the HSF.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GooseNipples wrote on 2021-03-08, 18:17:
I have another Slot 1 board on the way from fleabay as we speak. (Had ordered it a day before I stumbled across this one on CL) […]
Show full quote

I have another Slot 1 board on the way from fleabay as we speak. (Had ordered it a day before I stumbled across this one on CL)
Still only have the one Slot 1 CPU to test with (And I really don't want to buy another one)
I will presume that that one is functional and if it does the same thing as this one (nothing, not even fan activity) then I will consider that the CPU is toast and drop a few more dollars on a replacement CPU.
My pile of computer crap is growing ever larger and my wife's patience ever thinner 😀

I'd still recommend that you reconsider. Having this one CPU be the bottleneck will put your entire project here on hold anyway and that might be more of a waste.
Could opt to get a s370 CPU and a slotket. Even if it's 'just' a s370 Mendocino with a more simple slotket, the CPU could then also be used in most s370 motherboards, if you ever decide to go down that part.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I almost forgot, but you could also try to clean the contacts of the Slot 1 CPU with some rubbing alcohol. I've resurrected seemingly dead SLot 1 CPUs multiple times this way and this is an easy 'fix' so I'd suggest you try this first before taking stuff apart 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 17, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You bold, beautiful bastards.
I don't know if it was pulling it out of the case or clearing the CMOS, but she's up and running with all hardware plugged in, happily installing Windows 95.
Thanks everyone!

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GooseNipples wrote on 2021-03-09, 03:29:

You bold, beautiful bastards.
I don't know if it was pulling it out of the case or clearing the CMOS, but she's up and running with all hardware plugged in, happily installing Windows 95.
Thanks everyone!

Nice *thumbsup!*

Report spammers here!