Fastest AT computer.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-15, 22:34:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-overclocking. The overclocking community has provided a lot of valuable info on old parts. But lets be real, overclocking 20 year old parts is hardly any practical use anyway.

the thing is overclocking nowadays is barely any practical use... but back then it was at times a big boost to old hardware and to save money, of course it doesn't make sense as such today because you can just go to a faster machine instead, but then again barely any of this does have any "pracitcal use", it's about reviving the past so I get it :p

Reply 21 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-03-15, 22:51:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-overclocking. The overclocking community has provided a lot of valuable info on old parts. But lets be real, overclocking 20 year old parts is hardly any practical use anyway.

the thing is overclocking nowadays is barely any practical use... but back then it was at times a big boost to old hardware and to save money, of course it doesn't make sense as such today because you can just go to a faster machine instead, but then again barely any of this does have any "pracitcal use", it's about reviving the past so I get it :p

The reviving of the past arguably is its practical use:P

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I disagree. Overclocking is still about saving money and when some games are still limited by a 4th gen Octal-core i7 running at 4.5-4.6Ghz on all cores with quad channel DDR3-2400 you can only imagine how bad the CPU limitation was at the stock 3.5Ghz turbo on 1-core.

This is in The Division 2.

Overclocking from stock makes a pretty big difference.

As for moving to a faster platform... yeah, but what if I don't have the money or don't want to spend the money to upgrade to an even higher system... Though I am running a 5th gen instead of a 4th gen now.

To upgrade to a faster system with enough PCIe lanes for what I need, I would have to go with a Threadripper system.. or an Intel setup that isn't even available yet and the motherboard alone would cost $999.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 26, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overclocking 440BX from stock 100 Mhz to 150 Mhz is a very hefty boost in performance.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 26, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-16, 07:01:
I disagree. Overclocking is still about saving money and when some games are still limited by a 4th gen Octal-core i7 running at […]
Show full quote

I disagree. Overclocking is still about saving money and when some games are still limited by a 4th gen Octal-core i7 running at 4.5-4.6Ghz on all cores with quad channel DDR3-2400 you can only imagine how bad the CPU limitation was at the stock 3.5Ghz turbo on 1-core.

This is in The Division 2.

Overclocking from stock makes a pretty big difference.

As for moving to a faster platform... yeah, but what if I don't have the money or don't want to spend the money to upgrade to an even higher system... Though I am running a 5th gen instead of a 4th gen now.

To upgrade to a faster system with enough PCIe lanes for what I need, I would have to go with a Threadripper system.. or an Intel setup that isn't even available yet and the motherboard alone would cost $999.

I can yes, because I'm actually running a threadripper and I'm often CPU limited in poorly optimized games ^^ overclocking wouldn't help though, as that would just create one hot power hungry noisy mess.
todays hardware often already runs pretty much at it's limits, and anything above that requires extreme cooling and power pretty much negating any savings.
also by "4th gen" you mean a X5960? if so, yeah that is a CPU range that are still pretty good overclockers if you can also run it undervolted ^^

with "just go to a faster machine instead" I meant retro systems, if one isn't fast enough there's no practical use in overclocking as you can just pick faster hardware to go with instead, but that's not what it's about, is it? ^^

Reply 25 of 26, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To each their own. For example Tualatin is odd thing as the best readily available chipset is officially not supported (440BX), I would never use VIA chipset on it and 815 is artificially crippled.
To tell that it reduces lifetime on already old hardware is like a joke.

USing a CPU at their original speed (just on the motherboard that is not officially supported) is not overclocking too. Why people seek good motherboards then? Could as well settle for Intel reference board each time and just plug in max offically supported CPU and forget about it 😀 Why bother trying stuff etc? For me it is fun but I guess I am minority then (seems that building and messing with retro hardware is serious business, not meant for some shallow fun seekers right?).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 26 of 26, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote on 2021-03-16, 19:03:

USing a CPU at their original speed (just on the motherboard that is not officially supported) is not overclocking too. Why people seek good motherboards then? Could as well settle for Intel reference board each time and just plug in max offically supported CPU and forget about it 😀 Why bother trying stuff etc? For me it is fun but I guess I am minority then (seems that building and messing with retro hardware is serious business, not meant for some shallow fun seekers right?).

quite to the contrary, that's pretty much all it is... and that's why imho it really doesn't matter if it's of any practical use or not ^^

except if you need to keep some old industrial gear running with old hardware that is :p but that's not what vogons is about.