VOGONS

Win 95 woes

Topic actions

First post, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got the help I needed for the switch, have the appropriate hardware on its way now, so I figured I would try to make things better by creating more problems for myself!

So the 95 machine I purchased to replace my old one that died some time ago came loaded down with years of unorganized... stuff... from the previous owner. Rather than try to manually delete everything and risk deleting something that may have been important, I decided to throw on a new install of 95. Simple enough, right? Well, I thought it would be!

I have retail copy of 95 OSR2 B. I tried to do an install of that, which seemed to just... update the previous system, leaving the Hoarders worthy files on the system. I went through, used the boot disk to run a format to do a new install, only the system would NOT recognize the D drive to install from the CD. After much frustration, I dug out my OSR1 disk set, got that installed after a nice long session of feeding the computer disk after disk. My assumption was, once I had some sort of system, it would allow me to boot from the CD. Again, no. It will still not recognize the D drive from DOS, when I try from the desktop, it will happily show me the disk, open it, and allow me to enter the setup, however it will then tell me that since there is another operating system, it cannot install from the disk.

I have gone through, found, made disks, and installed the old HP drivers, with a focus on the CD drivers. Still a no-go.

It still runs the OS with no issue, and I am at a loss here. How can I get it to boot from the CD to do a fresh install of OSR2?

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot, I wasn't sure if this qualifies under hardware issues or software issues

Computer info:
HP Vectra 6/200
BIOS version: GZ. 07.08
Ram: 64 mb
Graphics: Matrox Milenium 2mb
Soundcard: Soundblaster 16

I have too many computers!
Wait... no I don't.

Reply 1 of 11, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dos requires drivers for the cd-rom to become visible.

Win95/98 startup disk loads cd-rom drivers at boot.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 11, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your Win95 cd is probably/certainly not bootable. That has nothing to do with the OS already on the machine, that has to do with the disk itself, and whether your hardware supports booting from cd (probably not).
You need a boot disk with cd support, I don't know what kind of boot disk you're using - if it's the one that came with your Windows CD I would assume it's got cd-rom support...
I suggest you download a Win98 boot disk that includes cd rom support and use WinImage to write that to floppy.
Assuming you're using an IDE cd-rom drive, if you're using one with an older interface you need the right drivers for that.

An easier workaround, though, is to use your current Windows installation to copy the contents of your OSR2 cd to somewhere on your hard drive.
Then restart into DOS mode and run the installer from that location.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-12, 10:42:

An easier workaround, though, is to use your current Windows installation to copy the contents of your OSR2 cd to somewhere on your hard drive.

I think the same. Win 9x Setup has that bad habbit of forgetting to integrate a CD-ROM driver early on in the installation process.
Not seldomly, after first reboot, it will be unable to access the setup files stored on the CD-ROM drive.
Which is silly, because among these files are CD-ROM drivers, too. 🤦
The root cause of this issue is, that the initial 9x setup was usually started with the help of DOS-based CD-ROM drivers (stored on start-up floopy), which Win9x tries avoid using at all costs (it prefers native Win9x drivers).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just gave this a shot, ended with the same result:

Warning SU0168

Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 95 Upgrade.

Giving it another shot with a 98 bootdisk.

Wait... no I don't.

Reply 5 of 11, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-12, 11:09:
I think the same. Win 9x Setup has that bad habbit of forgetting to integrate a CD-ROM driver early on in the installation proce […]
Show full quote

I think the same. Win 9x Setup has that bad habbit of forgetting to integrate a CD-ROM driver early on in the installation process.
Not seldomly, after first reboot, it will be unable to access the setup files stored on the CD-ROM drive.
The root cause of this issue is, that the initial 9x setup was usually started with the help of DOS-based CD-ROM drivers (stored on start-up floopy), which Win9x tries avoid using at all costs (it prefers native Win9x drivers).

I had installed the dos drivers for the CD drive, but to no avail. It still says "Invalid drive specification"

Wait... no I don't.

Reply 6 of 11, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asches wrote on 2021-03-13, 08:35:
Just gave this a shot, ended with the same result: […]
Show full quote

Just gave this a shot, ended with the same result:

Warning SU0168

Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 95 Upgrade.

Giving it another shot with a 98 bootdisk.

Some googling tells me that deleting some files from your current Windows install should fix the issue. I would just restart into DOS mode and deltree c:\windows.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Asches wrote on 2021-03-13, 08:37:
I think the same. Win 9x Setup has that bad habbit of forgetting to integrate a CD-ROM driver early on in the installation proce […]
Show full quote

I had installed the dos drivers for the CD drive, but to no avail. It still says "Invalid drive specification"

Hi again! I'm not sure if you do understand what I meant to say. Maybe it's because of my poor English, not sure (I'm no native speaker sadly). 😅

What I meant to say: I remember my father's old 386 PC..

It had an early generation Mitsumi single-speed CD-ROM drive with a proprietary (by todays standard) interface card.. :

It required a special CD-ROM driver for DOS which he had installed, too.

During the upgrade process from Win3.1/DOS6.20 to Windows 95, the Win95 setup did remove it from config.sys.
Win95 setup also did remove MSCDEX from autoxec.bat.

After first reboot, the previously installed CD-ROM drivers for MS-DOS were gone.
Win95 setup thus nolonger was able to access the CD-ROM drive.

So my father had to manually had to edit them and put the entries for these back into them.

After this, Win95 setup was able to continue.

This was before we had big HDDs.

At the time, Win95 weighted about a hefty 40MB (!), so copying setup files to HDD was no viable option.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 11, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asches wrote on 2021-03-13, 08:37:
Show full quote

Although I would still recommend installing from HD, the poster above is right, you might not have a compatible CD-ROM drive, although I would expect to see that on an older machine. Does the boot disk say anything about its initialization of the CD drivers during startup?

Reply 9 of 11, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The conventional CD-ROM interface we're all familiar with was only standardized in the late-1990s, when ATAPI became a thing. Before then CD interfaces were proprietary and mutually incompatible. Getting them all to work in MS-DOS was already a headache. You needed a special driver from the manufacturer (not OAKCDROM.SYS).

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Invalid drive specification means the driver loaded, couldn't find the drive and aborted.

What is the model of the CD drive? that'll confirm what driver you want to use.
And just to be sure Where is the CD plugged in? IDE1, IDE2, SCSI, or off the back of the sound card?

If you have another PC with a floppy drive you can download the original Win95 boot disk from here.
https://www.allbootdisks.com/download/95.html
This does an OK-ish job at autodetecting IDE drives. but wont help with SCSI or if using the sound card.

Once we get D drive been recognised we can worry about actually installing windows

Reply 11 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 95 and "Woes" is an oxymoron.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium