VOGONS

First post, by DecepticonZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

New here and new to setting up DOS. My first machine was a Windows 95 machine and I never really played many games on it, and I want to try and play alot of the great DOS titles I missed.

I purchased a Toshiba 430CDT a few weeks back and began reading up on the machine prior to its arrival. I saw a few threads here and on other sites about replacing the IDE drive with a CF card. So while I was assembling parts for the machine, I also purchased this and this.

The machine arrived and everything works fine. The machine was listed as not having an OS, which it doesn't but it does spin up and is recognized when plugged into a windows 10 machine via a USB dock. I haven't gotten any media yet to install an OS, so I decided to attempt to install DOS on the CF via a virtual box. I followed a guide and I can get DOS installed and booting fine on the CF. When I move it to the machine however, the machine hangs after the memory check for several minutes and eventually asks for a boot disc.

I also noticed when I enter the bios with the stock drive, under the hard drive heading I can switch it between Standard and enhanced IDE. When I install the CF adapter, it wont let me change it from enhanced IDE and after navigating through the bios a bit, the drive will eventually disappear.

Lastly, the IDE adapter has a jumper for master/slave or slave/master, but the stock drive doesn't use and jumpers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel first post!

Reply 1 of 9, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Laptop is what? 1996 vintage? It is possible that the BIOS has the 2GB IDE limit.

I have a 486 with a built in EIDE controller that locks up tight if I try to configure it for a drive larger than 2GB.

If it is a Bios incompatibility, you can fix it by selecting a small drive from the preconfigured settings and installing drive overlay software from floppy such as EZ Bios.

Or it is possible that you have a loose connector somewhere between your PC and the CF.

Reply 2 of 9, by DecepticonZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2021-03-13, 01:48:
That Laptop is what? 1996 vintage? It is possible that the BIOS has the 2GB IDE limit. […]
Show full quote

That Laptop is what? 1996 vintage? It is possible that the BIOS has the 2GB IDE limit.

I have a 486 with a built in EIDE controller that locks up tight if I try to configure it for a drive larger than 2GB.

If it is a Bios incompatibility, you can fix it by selecting a small drive from the preconfigured settings and installing drive overlay software from floppy such as EZ Bios.

Or it is possible that you have a loose connector somewhere between your PC and the CF.

To my knowledge, this machine has an 8gb limit. When I installed DOS, it did make a 2gb partition, and even then it still wouldn’t boot. A friend told me that the adapter I was using has a so/so track record, so I have another one enroute that I will try. I also got a smaller CF card to see if that was the problem too. Will report back if I make any progress.

Reply 4 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CF adapter could be bad, but my guess would be that the IDE BIOS in the Toshiba 430CDT is using a non standard sector translation scheme that makes a CF card that was partitioned on a modern machine while being accessed using LBA incompatible with the laptop . .

If you can can boot the 430CDT using a floppy and partition/format the CF drive (and make it bootable with sys a: c:) while connected to the 430CDT, you might get better results .

Reply 6 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-14, 23:22:

Fat must be 16. Is it what you have on that CF?

If the image on the CF card boots successfully in Virtualbox , I don't see how the filesystem type would be an issue .

Reply 7 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-03-15, 00:39:

If the image on the CF card boots successfully in Virtualbox , I don't see how the filesystem type would be an issue .

Ms-dos can't see FAT32, only FAT16.
I have no idea how virtual box handles that. Just check it and it's one out of the way.

Is the boot partition flagged as "boot"? You can check that in Win10. If not modify that attribute to boot or similar.
Same thing can be achieved with gparted in Linux.

It happened to me a lot of times, you do everything and than "No boot device, insert disk" or similar 😀

I'm currently using a CF to 40 pin IDE and 44 pin IDE and it works well. I installed Ms-dos once (real floppy disks) and cloned it across many CF / SD cards.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 8 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-15, 01:39:
Ms-dos can't see FAT32, only FAT16. I have no idea how virtual box handles that. Just check it and it's one out of the way. […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2021-03-15, 00:39:

Ms-dos can't see FAT32, only FAT16.
I have no idea how virtual box handles that. Just check it and it's one out of the way.

Is the boot partition flagged as "boot"? You can check that in Win10. If not modify that attribute to boot or similar.
Same thing can be achieved with gparted in Linux.

It happened to me a lot of times, you do everything and than "No boot device, insert disk" or similar 😀

I'm currently using a CF to 40 pin IDE and 44 pin IDE and it works well. I installed Ms-dos once (real floppy disks) and cloned it across many CF / SD cards.

If the CF card is booting successfully , the version of "DOS" installed has no issues with the filesystems being used, whether it is in a VirtualBox VM or on actual bare-metal hardware .

Just to be clear, I understand that
- DOS 6.22 is limited to FAT16 support.
- The "DOS" version bundled with Windows 95 OSR 2 and higher supports FAT32 .
and there is no harm in OP double-checking this .

As mentioned before, however, if the CF card with a version of "DOS" installed is booting successfully (whether in a VM or on actual hardware), I do not see how there could a be mismatch between DOS version and filesystem type or an issue with the proper partition being set as active .

Reply 9 of 9, by DecepticonZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. Sorry, but I got sidetracked by life. The machine is up and running. I simply took the CF card I had installed DOS on and plugged it into the new adapter and away it went. This one is a Syba dual slot adapter and I'm using the card in the Master slot.

I had tried the old adapter without the jumper and it still didn't work. Something about that above linked adapter doesn't click with this machine. Placing the card in the adapter then connecting it to and IDE docking station did allow the drive to boot in a VM, so I know the adapter wasn't simply defective.

Thank you for being a sounding board of ideas! Y'all have been very helpful. I've also gone off the rails and picked up a few more older laptops, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!