VOGONS

First post, by gshaw0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I saved an old Socket 7 board last year and finally got around to testing it recently. Got a couple of queries was hoping you may be able to help with?

1) I can get a POST beep out of it but no video. Tried a PCI card and an ISA card from my 386, no luck with either. Eventually I noticed a missing capacitor near the CPU socket, does anyone have the same board who can tell me what should be there? It's CA37 on the attached pic, found a fuzzy pic online that shows a capacitor in that position but can't tell values.

2) Reading this in the technical manual I found online suggests the PCI slots need separate power? My PSU does have a single white Molex plug labelled P6, which seems to fit - have read on another thread on here the red 5v (?) wire shouldn't be there but wanted to double-check this as it seems weird to have the same connector but with slightly different wiring required?

"PCI 3.3 VOLT CAPABILITIES To maintain strict compliance with the PCI specification, the motherboard provides a connector which can be used to route 3.3 volt power to the PCI slots. The connector may be used with a separate 3.3 volt power supply or with a custom designed voltage converter. Note: The on-board 3.3 volt regulator provides power for the CPU, PCIset and L2 cache only, not the PCI slots."

3.3V Supplemental PCI Power Connector on AT Motherboard

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have this board in UH19 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/result/ … ame=advanced/ev

But interestingly enough, none of these have the exact same capacitor layout ... I guess you have a slightly different revision

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AUX power for PCI is only optional. There is only a handful of old PCI cards requiring 3.3V and not required for vast majority of others.

My board does have the cap (470 microF) in the same area.

DSC_3516-scaled.jpeg

Last edited by mpe on 2021-03-15, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 3 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It appears to be in parallel with C3A4 and most likely for voltage stability/suppression for the COAST socket (is way to far from the Vreg) .

mpe: Can you read it's value ? Think you could use any 16V 470uF, that is what is on my board that is nearly the same but diff model located nearly same place, but may be different on your board.
The extra PSU connector is for 3.3v for PCI yes.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 8, by gshaw0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all, the voltage would be handy to make sure it's as close as I can get.

Bit weird how I can get a POST beep but no video, unless it's a parity fail as that's a single beep too but not sure if it would sound different?

Reply 5 of 8, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2021-03-14, 22:20:

We have this board in UH19 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/result/ … ame=advanced/ev

But interestingly enough, none of these have the exact same capacitor layout ... I guess you have a slightly different revision

that's because either the boards posted here in this thread are actually advanced/AS boards, or the later revisions of the advanced/EV look superficially just like the advanced/AS.

either way i have an early 1995 advanced/EV board like in that UH19 link and i think there's some inconsistencies in those articles, apart from using the same image for both revisions, i think the first revision can only support 133mhz (in fact the silkscreened frequency table only goes up to 100mhz, probably because the board predates the p133 by about half a year). in later revisions they added 3 extra pins to J1N1 to support higher frequencies. also kind of unrelated but since i ran into this issue when i got this board i still find it rather curious how the original BIOS versions have an option to boot from CD which doesn't work, and instead of fixing it according to the errata sheet they just removed it in later BIOS versions.

@OP, are you sure that capacitor wasn't missing in the first place? the vias look very clean and needless to say missing capacitor spots are extremely common on any hardware. if adding that capacitor back doesn't make it work i'd try to look for broken traces or reflash the BIOS, which is pretty easy via recovery disk on those intel boards provided you have a way to use a floppy drive.

Reply 6 of 8, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the exact PB/PBA/CA numbers of your board?

Intel has by far the most revisions/errata per model in the entire industry so seeing different capacitor layouts is to be expected.

An ISA video card should work, a PCI video card may be rev 2.1 which will not work properly in a PCI 2.0 slot. Oh and you did check your monitor with another system to make sure it works? I have been caught by that. Loose cable, brightness on zero, been there done that too.

Reply 7 of 8, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A single short beep before boot is the normal behavior of the Advanced/EV. My guess is that the video card is not inserted properly.

The Advanced/AS is supposed to have a square shaped Crystal sound codec while the Advanced/EV has a space for a Vibra 16S chip which is not a square. Your board has the traces for the vibra chip so I presume it's not an Advanced/AS.

Check if the jumpers and the dip switches are set correctly. If nothing helps you can try the built in bios recovery feature.

PCem emulates this board by the way.

Deksor wrote on 2021-03-14, 22:20:

The site should at least mention that the first revision is Socket 5 while the second one is Socket 7.

I believe that there also exists a MR BIOS for this board on the Evergreen Spectra CD: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=547&menustate=0

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh ? I wasn't aware of that.

We don't have a way to actually have sockets in the database at the moment, but that will arrive in the next update.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative