VOGONS

First post, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I recently got a PC Chips M598LMR motherboard with an AMD K6-2 processor. Unfortunately I'm having trouble making it post. Speaker doesn't give any sound. Wha I got was the codes D1 and D0 from a PCI/ISA diagnostic card.
I have already tried:

Multiple RAM (32, 64 and 128MB PC100)
A known working CPU (a Pentium MMX 166MHz.).
Searching for the error code in Google.
Clearing the BIOS

What else can I try to get it to POST?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you take a picture of your POST card in the board with the error ?
D0 you have a speaker hooked up and does it give any beeps ?
As for the code D0 and D1, with later version AMI bios those are boot block error codes not main bios codes.
D0 is early chipset and cpu initialization and D1 is later chipset, I/O, rtc, KB controller initialize (from AMI BIOS checkpoint v2 PDF)
Either the board has serious issues or the BIOS is corrupt including Bootblock portion.
Added: those are the earliest Bootblock codes ( they go to DC) and is possible the VRMs for the CPU are faulty so it did not initialize fully,
have you checked that the cpu is getting proper volts ? A bad PSU could also cause this.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-03-22, 01:25:
Can you take a picture of your POST card in the board with the error ? D0 you have a speaker hooked up and does it give any beep […]
Show full quote

Can you take a picture of your POST card in the board with the error ?
D0 you have a speaker hooked up and does it give any beeps ?
As for the code D0 and D1, with later version AMI bios those are boot block error codes not main bios codes.
D0 is early chipset and cpu initialization and D1 is later chipset, I/O, rtc, KB controller initialize (from AMI BIOS checkpoint v2 PDF)
Either the board has serious issues or the BIOS is corrupt including Bootblock portion.
Added: those are the earliest Bootblock codes ( they go to DC) and is possible the VRMs for the CPU are faulty so it did not initialize fully,
have you checked that the cpu is getting proper volts ? A bad PSU could also cause this.

ph96LqU.jpg

Lights that stay on: -12V, CLK, +12V, IRDY, +5V
Lights that stay off: +3.3V, RESET
Light that blinks very faintly: FRAME

Have a speaker connected, no beeps.

Tried also with a known working PSU. Nothing.

I think this one is toast.

Reply 3 of 11, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had that d1d0 before, trying to check RAM.

Bad trace or NB issues, Nb to cpu... I have a 939 m/b and the NB definitely has voltage issues with d1d0.
Have you checked ram voltage?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CesarDRK wrote on 2021-03-23, 00:49:

Are you using an AT or ATX power supply? If ur using an ATX psu, i would try with an AT one (and vice-versa).

Good point ! Have a few of those odd AT + ATX PSU style boards and they are quirky.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 11, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-04-04, 09:20:

D1 bootblock error, if the bios chip is removable, flash a known good bios with a programmer in there.

Yes, BIOS chip is removable. It's a 32 pin AMIBIOS 586 BIOS. Chip says AMIC A290021T-70. Can you recommend a cheap and compatible programmer?

Reply 9 of 11, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would you consider cheap? The most common programmer is the TL866II. Pricing of those is several tens of euros/dollars.

You could do a hotflash procedure so "live flash" the chip in another board.

Reply 10 of 11, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-04-10, 22:38:

What would you consider cheap? The most common programmer is the TL866II. Pricing of those is several tens of euros/dollars.

You could do a hotflash procedure so "live flash" the chip in another board.

I have a Socket 7 board with a socketed bios and the same format (32 pin). It is an Award bios though, so I don't know if pin distribution is different between them and it's my only working retro PC so I don't want to risk damaging it.

I saw the TL866II and I think it's affordable for me as I can use it for other projects later. Is it compatible with my chip? I Couldn't find anything on the internet about mine.

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eperezf wrote on 2021-04-11, 19:43:

I have a Socket 7 board with a socketed bios and the same format (32 pin). It is an Award bios though, so I don't know if pin distribution is different between them and it's my only working retro PC so I don't want to risk damaging it.

I saw the TL866II and I think it's affordable for me as I can use it for other projects later. Is it compatible with my chip? I Couldn't find anything on the internet about mine.

Thanks!

pin distribution is highly likely identical, though there is a slight chance that the programming voltage might be different.
It can sometimes be set with a jumper to either 5v or 12v.

http://autoelectric.cn/MiniPro/TL866II_List.txt search for A290021T

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port