VOGONS

USB Floppy

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have the same NEC UF0002 (same part number and code). It reads fine 720Kb floppies, although I haven't tried to write them.

I wonder why nobody made a USB to floppy converter... all USB floppies I've found have the USB part embedded into the floppy board.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 21 of 28, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are converter boards sold on ebay that connect between USB and standard floppy drive.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2021-03-30, 13:49:

I also have the same NEC UF0002 (same part number and code). It reads fine 720Kb floppies, although I haven't tried to write them.

I wonder why nobody made a USB to floppy converter... all USB floppies I've found have the USB part embedded into the floppy board.

Most of the USB floppy drives you can buy on aliexpress are of the kind that have a USB to fdd interface and a 'standard' 26pad flatcable half height laptop floppy drive
The separately sold usb to 34pin convertors... I bought one and it doesn't do 720K drives. no read nor write.

Is there somewhere an easy to build, direct drive letter, USB arduino or stm or microchip or... to FDD board ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 23 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-03-30, 13:54:

There are converter boards sold on ebay that connect between USB and standard floppy drive.

If only there was an affordable one that supported 5.25" drives.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-30, 16:19:
Tiido wrote on 2021-03-30, 13:54:

If only there was an affordable one that supported 5.25" drives.

sad the usb drivers don't have support for the 5"25 ones..

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 25 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote on 2021-03-30, 13:49:

Thanks ! My Dell ones are Labeled "Dell UF0002" with HW ID: USBSTOR\SFloppyNEC_____USB_UF000x______1.50 and NEC_____USB_UF000x______1
and it cannot read any 720k. What exact Hardware ID shows up under Device Manager for yours ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 26 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-03-30, 21:49:

Thanks ! My Dell ones are Labeled "Dell UF0002" with HW ID: USBSTOR\SFloppyNEC_____USB_UF000x______1.50 and NEC_____USB_UF000x______1
and it cannot read any 720k. What exact Hardware ID shows up under Device Manager for yours ?

USBSTOR\SFloppyNEC_____USB_UF000x______1.60
USBSTOR\NEC_____USB_UF000x______1

Although (probably) your drive is the real thing, kleep in mind that is very easy to find chinese drives that fake/mimic other drives (using the same drivers or using fake names on their own drivers).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 27 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry for necro post but those mentioning the TEAC FD-05PUB that can read/write 720k, those internal parts may also support a 5.25" 1.2Mb drive IF you could adapt one to the controller board.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun