VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey guys. i got this motherboard today complete in box. only thing missing is the io shield.

ABiT kt7a-raid

But looking at it on the back of the board someone touched it because there is hardened flux on the back.

And what they tried to do was related to a Crystal that is placed on the right hand side of the CPU

i would like to know if someone here has the same board? I need to know the numbers "marking" that your crystal has. Im wondering if they changed the original crystal , or what the hell they did with the motherboard

if you happen to have one please check the crystal an let me know the numbers

Reply 2 of 9, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The value on my board for this crystal is : TQ14.318B. Presumably 14.318 MHz ?

By the way, check the resistor value (in ohms) of your caps. I found out that even caps that look completely fine can have gone bad. You will read a small value or even 0 if the cap has shorted.

Reply 3 of 9, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i wonder why the crystal was replaced on my board then.

in this motherboard the crystal is 14.3F2LB .

i found nothing on google about it.

only one post from a guy saying the crystal from an abit NF7-S dropped and it was a 14.3F2LB

so strange, im missing like 0.018 then?

Reply 5 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

14.3818 MHz crystal is typically standard tight-coupled to a clock generator IC next to crystal.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the crystal say anything else on it? It's literally just "14.3F2LB"? If there's something else it could give a clue of who made it and maybe lead to a datasheet.

A crystal of 14.31818MHz (does it repeat more than that? I don't remember) is used on pretty much every motherboard. If somebody found the same part on an NF7-S from factory then I think that reinforces the assumption it's probably the correct standard frequency (so not a careless substitution).
I think that frequency is exactly 4x the NTSC color subcarrier frequency (which is why it has such an oddly specific value). NTSC isn't relevant to a motherboard but I think those particular crystals were chosen because they were common and cheap.

Have you tested the board? Somebody must have thought the crystal had failed.

Reply 7 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From Stackexchange ( https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questio … ut-14-31818-mhz )

It is exactly 4× the NTSC color-burst frequency of 3.579545 MHz. Since it is (well, used to be) used in huge quantities in comme […]
Show full quote

It is exactly 4× the NTSC color-burst frequency of 3.579545 MHz. Since it is (well, used to be) used in huge quantities in commercial color TV sets, it is both commonly available, and particularly useful when you want to generate a signal to be displayed on such a TV.
answered Jul 31 '16 at 14:07
Dave Tweed

The exact frequency for the NTSC color burst is 30 frames/sec x 525 lines/frame x 455/2 cycles/line / 1.001 (a correction factor that avoids a problem) = 3579545.4545... cycles/second. I don't remember the precise reason the correction factor is needed, but you can probably look it up. I think it had something to do with having the field rate (59.94 Hz) NOT precisely locked to the power line frequency. – Dave Tweed Jul 31 '16 at 14:21

For anybody else looking, the factor of 1.001 looks like it is present to prevent the sound carrier and video carrier from having similar frequencies, which could cause video artifacts. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Color_encoding – Eldritch Cheese Jul 31 '16 at 15:00

Kind of wild the hoops that must have been jumped through to generate all the other frequencies computers need from that specific original frequency, just because the supplies were there. To be fair, even now, looking on Farnell, there's 1 crystal available at 14MHz and 139 at 14.31818 (plus 7 at 14.318). Then there's 216 at 14.7456MHz, apparently useful for 115200 baud serial.

Reply 8 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reason for 14.3818 was IBM PC used it to generate everything including composite output through a CGA card (no crystal on card itself) from it.

Also 14.3818 had roots in original TV ntsc. And another reason for this:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/ques … -4-77-mhz/14098

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 9, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote on 2021-03-24, 19:45:
i wonder why the crystal was replaced on my board then. […]
Show full quote

i wonder why the crystal was replaced on my board then.

in this motherboard the crystal is 14.3F2LB .

i found nothing on google about it.

only one post from a guy saying the crystal from an abit NF7-S dropped and it was a 14.3F2LB

so strange, im missing like 0.018 then?

If it says 14.3F2LB , I'm 99% sure it's rated at 14.318MHz, so you're fine. Manufacturers just name them differently (with their own naming scheme and such).
Why does it have flux on the pins, who knows.