VOGONS

First post, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morning all, Having an odd issue with my newly built work find PC. It's a Pentium 200MMX with 128MB of EDO RAM and a Geforce2 MX200. It's running off a brand new SanDisk CF card whilst I wait for a 'new' HDD. It did have a memory issue when it had 4 SIMMs but I detected two faulty ones with Memtest86 and the remaining two will pass Memtest86 all day long. It's running 40.x Nvidia drivers and DirectX 7.0 and runs 3DMark 99 Max with no problems. I was installing Office 97 Pro yesterday off a CD and it got to ~60% when the CD-ROM drive span down and the system locked up. I rebooted and tried again and it installed with no issues at all and everything works fine. There are only 3 cap's on the 430HX motherboard and they all look perfect.

It's hard to trouble shoot without event viewer etc but does anyone have any thoughts? I've looked for Intel chipset drivers but there don't really seem to be any. Everything looks perfect in System - no unidentified hardware etc.

TIA!

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win98 supports HX natively so your good on that front.
Bus master drivers for Win95 do exist, if you wanted to give it a go on the off chance but I doubt it.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html

I'd probably blame the CF card in the first instance

Reply 2 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is your 430HX board equipped with the proper tag ram chip to cache >64MB? otherwise you will see a performance penalty.

enable DMA for the CF and CDROM in device manager, that should improve I/O performance a bit. for that lockup, that could be maybe a scratched disc or an IDE cable with a loose contact that makes the system lock up when you touch something.