VOGONS

First post, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am thinking of purchasing an Asus TX97 for a 233mmx build, and I was wondering how far it's possible to overclock. According to official reviews and manuals it looks like the board will do 75MHz, but I think maybe some variants of the TX97 have been run at 83MHz? I'm curious if there are any custom BIOSes and if so what they may allow. Also hoping to get my hands on a PCI-AS2940UW, which is the Asus Media Bus SCSI/Vibra card with the OPL3. I'd like suggestions for a video card to use. I've got a Quadro NVS 50, a Real3D Starfighter 16MB, some ATI/Matrox/S3 cards, and a Voodoo 1 and 2. I'm not opposed to buying something else if it fits the build and isn't terribly expensive. I'm gonna be running Windows 95 and playing mostly late DOS and some early 3D stuff.

Reply 1 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pentium probably won't be the bottleneck. I run my mmx200 at 2,5x100 without a problem.

The tx and motherboard may run fine at 75 I guess, 83 may be a bit more of a gamble (but you may try ofc)
And sdram that's suitable for the higher fsb. Preferably pc100 or even faster. Pc 66 could become unstable even at 75MHz fsb.

As for add-on cards, most graphics cards I've tested will be ok at a slight overclocked PCI bus. 37,5MHz at 75fsb will be ok. The 83fsb will set the PCI bus at 41MHz so it may be tricky with some timing-sensitive controllers, especially SCSI (which is notorious with overclocked busses)
As for ISA: can you set speed for it? Make sure it runs at stock speed (maximum 9MHz) if you use ISA sound cards (as they are recommended for dos).

My choose for graphics would be:
S3 for 2D and the Voodoo 1 for 3D.
Early 3D is 3DFX, except for some specially designed games. The MMX will just bottleneck the Voodoo 2 so the voodoo 1 would be my choise instead.
The S3 is reference material for Vesa modes, especially the trio64 and virge cards are fast as well.
But then again I don't know what the Starfighter card is capable of... Would that be a better choice instead of the S3?
Does the nvs50 have the same level of vesa support as the geforce 2? That would add better direct X support instead of the S3.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 4, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Asus TX97-LE easily handles 83 MHz FSB, just make sure your processor and RAM can keep up with the speed. Among mentioned video cards, I were using S3 Virge/DX, Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 3 in such build, and overclocked PCI hasn't been an issue. Patched BIOSes taken here can add support of larger IDE HDDs (up to 128Gb) and K6-2+/III+ processors. Also note that on 430tx, you can bloat the RAM up to 384 Mb (despite documented 256 Mb maximum) by installing two PC-100/133 SDRAM DIMMs, one 128 mb + one double-sided 256 mb.

Reply 3 of 4, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do all the TX97 boards have the same FSB capabilities? I'm looking at the original TX97 AT. Do you guys think it would be noticably snappier and faster with scsi or should I just forget it and use the onboard ide? For RAM I'm just gonna stick with the max cacheable 64MB, I don't think I'll need anything more than that. The board is pretty cool in that it only has DIMM slots no SIMMS so I'm thinking probably just a single DIMM. I'm already gonna load the machine up with cards so I figure there's no need to tax it more with more modules. As for sound, if I can get it I'll probably use the media bus card which has a vibra chipset with a real opl3, otherwise I've got an AWE64 value which I am quite fond of.

Reply 4 of 4, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ajdrenter wrote on 2021-03-26, 14:08:

Do all the TX97 boards have the same FSB capabilities? I'm looking at the original TX97 AT. Do you guys think it would be noticably snappier and faster with scsi or should I just forget it and use the onboard ide? For RAM I'm just gonna stick with the max cacheable 64MB, I don't think I'll need anything more than that. The board is pretty cool in that it only has DIMM slots no SIMMS so I'm thinking probably just a single DIMM. I'm already gonna load the machine up with cards so I figure there's no need to tax it more with more modules. As for sound, if I can get it I'll probably use the media bus card which has a vibra chipset with a real opl3, otherwise I've got an AWE64 value which I am quite fond of.

TX has UDMA33 so many of the benefits with SCSI are gone.
Also SCSI cards are notoriously sensitive to FSB speeds.