VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I've got this Slot 1 mainboard supporting up to the Pentium III 600Mhz but the original cpu plastic mobile supports were broken. The parts fixed on the mainboard are ok but the above mobile part is now replaced with others that are not the right ones so the cpu seems to be fixed only by the connector.
I never understood if those things were generic or each mainboards had different solution to stop the Pentium II/III cpu into it. Do I have to try finding similar compatible ones or the specifics?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you talking about these cpu retention brackets? My Asus P2B and P3B boards came with the "better" type. The fixed ones do not work as well with p3 and slockets from my experience...
Yes there are are generic universal Sot1 P2/P3 types still for sale.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-03-27, 14:30:

Are you talking about these cpu retention brackets? My Asus P2B and P3B boards came with the "better" type. The fixed ones do not work as well with p3 and slockets from my experience...
Yes there are are generic universal Sot1 P2/P3 types still for sale.

Yes exactly those. In my mainboard I have to find or the specific mobile parts or the entire bracket. Good to read they are universal.. 😀
Back in those times I much preferred the usual socket connection beside I understand that this might have solved the metal pin lifetime of the usual Socket 7/A cpus.

Reply 3 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall there were ones only fitting one way. While other ones didn't bother with any indication and while they fit both ways, only one way was correct.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 5, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some folding type and fixed type brackets have slots on the side that are off-centre. If the brackets are installed the wrong way (turned around 180 degrees) the slots do not align with the protusions on the SECC package or heatsink.

PIIbracket2.jpg
Filename
PIIbracket2.jpg
File size
34.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-27, 15:21:

I recall there were ones only fitting one way. While other ones didn't bother with any indication and while they fit both ways, only one way was correct.

The slot itself has a key on one side preventing (some) brackets to be mounted the wrong way.
Also it means that some brackets can't be used on SlotA without a slight modification=/