VOGONS

First post, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Me again! Posting about this 486 deskmaster I bought, works a charm and most games run (a few crash or run poor) but guess that's just dos and software etc....

Anyway, I fancied another upgrade to the already L2 cache 128k I added, 4 gig CF hard drive and Sound card ES1869F.

I added a LG 52x speed CD rom and plugged ide cable to the assumed IDE port on sound card. Plugged 4npin molex in. Noting CD don't eject or anything pkus PC don't boot to anything, not even cmos. I added CD rom via ess1869 config and exe driver install and it changed nothing.

I then unplugged it all and just left power to it and noted it gets no power, CD rom led never flashes, don't open just dead...

Have I done something wrong?
Maybe the 486 deskmaster not able to support a cdrom?
Maybe the sound card won't allow ide for cdrom.. Can't find much info on sound card it says ESS drive 1869f and gold16k. But looks different to normal photos of similair cards...
Has a floppy ide and sure 40 pin..

Can't use it as a slave to sine ide on motherboard as it won't reach from rear where CF is

Reply 1 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using the manual tray eject to open the tray, then apply just power (no data cable). I'm pretty sure that even if nothing is connected, the first thing a drive will do is try to close the try when power is applied (certainly true of the several models I've been playing with recently). If it doesn't try to close then I'd suspect the drive.

(just thought, check the solder joints on both sides of the molex power connector. I've just fixed a drive that had a dodgy connection on the top side of the connector)

Reply 2 of 5, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the CD-ROM does not react when connected to the power supply (4 pin), there will be a problem in the mechanics. You can check the voltage in the power connector with a multimeter (5+12V). As for the IDE connector on the sound card, some are equipped with a proprietary connector and the standard IDE drive does not work on them. I don't know what connector you have on your card - a photo would help.

Reply 3 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does the cdrom work?
can you open and close it with only power attached and switched on ?
is the ide cable correctly oriented ?
is it an ide port on the soundcard ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean the fan works when plugged in to a molex connector on the PSU? I was meaning to check the connector on the cd drive, in particular the PCB solder joints. Some molex power connectors are a bit on the stiff side, so the waggling back and forth to unplug them can damage the joints. At which point the drive would appear dead, or at least act oddly.

Molex_TopSide.jpg
Filename
Molex_TopSide.jpg
File size
41.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

That's the sort of thing I mean, where you can see there's a problem with the +12V pin not actually soldered to the 12V trace on the PCB.