VOGONS

First post, by EPoX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a list of what the markings mean on a tantalum capacitor? im looking at one socket7 motherboard and it has the rounded shape tantalum and the only marking is 106H

i had to search on google for " 106H " to find out that its a 10uf 25v capacitor. but is there a full list of codes ? i would like to have it with the rest of codes.

im also planning on taking 5 tantalum caps out of the motherboard and just place 5new electrolitic capacitors, i doubt there is going to be any issue doing that.

Reply 1 of 18, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the tantalum capacitors are not defective, don´t replace them.
Since tantalum capacitors have nearly no inductivity they are perfect for filtering high frequencies and thats what they have to do on mainboards. Sometimes they even have a ceramic capacitor in parallel to reach even better values.
They got replaced by standard electrolytics in the industry because they are cheaper.

Reply 2 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had a few Tantalum caps blown up over the years... usually on 286 and 386 motherboards. Yesterday one blew up on my precious Terrarec Profimedia SOWT-24 2.0 wavetable board and it made a huge bang and smoke 🙁 I really wasn't expecting this as all was fine the previous day.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't there two types of tantal caps? Solid and "wet" ? 🤔

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 18, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tantalum caps on Socket7 mobo? Can we get a photo? I don't think I've seen them used past 486 mobos, except SMD but these are not round. Are you sure these are not electrolytics, maybe polymer ones?

And yes, there are wet tantalum caps, these are quite different from the typical sintered powder (or whatever method they were using) "teardrops". Wet tantalums are very stable - both temperature and age wise. Expensive though (most are aerospace rated), sill made by KEMET for example.

Reply 5 of 18, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote on 2023-07-06, 22:16:

Tantalum caps on Socket7 mobo? Can we get a photo? I don't think I've seen them used past 486 mobos, except SMD but these are not round. Are you sure these are not electrolytics, maybe polymer ones?

I have one, but they were all replaced with electrolytic. EP-58MVP3C-M. (Non "M," also.)

Also, the DFI P2XBL (Slot 1) has them. I had one, but I wrecked it during an experiment.

Reply 9 of 18, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(ALL) Tantalum capacitors are derated
- by voltage
- by current
- by temperature.
Tons of datasheets with graphs have been released on this topic.

If you don’t want to return to this issue, polymer 10-22 microfarads at 6.3V (for 3.3V-5V bus) will close this issue once and for all.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 10 of 18, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote on 2023-07-06, 22:16:

Here´s one example:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/fic-vx98

There are also all Tantalum ASUS Socket 4 boards.

Reply 12 of 18, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-07-08, 19:18:

Tantalums are all over the motherboard spectrum... but not just motherboards, but also sound cards, video cards...

But in non-power circuits, its do not burn, but simply increase it`s ESR and lose capacity.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 14 of 18, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-07-08, 21:44:

Care to explain - non-power circuits? Where are these used - example maybe?

ed0a45c3552f8cec0983513a464d5876f8aa5d41_2_666x500.jpeg
ESI juli@ XTe

Many auduo manufacturers use it`s to many purpose. I.e. phono amp
https://www.digikey.com/Site/Global/Layouts/D … 58A12640983822C

Reply 16 of 18, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tantalum are used in many circuits, not all of them are low-impedance vs power supply so in such cases a short will not cause it to burn up, the energy will be dissipated in some (usualy nearby) resistance. But even in this scenario they also can go shorted internally. Older dry tantalum were not screened properly for what is called dV/dt spikes (basically the current inrush when the voltage rises up rapidly, for example when device is turned on), so even seemingly uncracked ones can degrade and go boom. These days the screening is much more strict, at least for some well-known manufacturers, and that's more costly. Using no-name caps cheaply bought in bulk can get you anything, obviously. Modern electrolytics can easily have lower ESR than tantalums but the latter are still used when long-term value stability and low inductance is required.

Reply 17 of 18, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote on 2023-07-09, 17:36:

...Older dry tantalum were not screened properly for what is called dV/dt spikes (basically the current inrush when the voltage rises up rapidly, for example when device is turned on), so even seemingly uncracked ones can degrade and go boom...

This can happen especially when old mobos that used to operate with an old "soft starting" AT PSU are hooked to a modern ATX PSU that turns on "hard" with voltages reaching their nominal values in no time.

Reply 18 of 18, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-07-09, 17:36:

Tantalum are used in many circuits

Old type of tantalum capacitor are noisy.
And ...its good, its analog dithering for low bit dac.
Noise can hide distortion and correlation between digital data and analog signal.
And it sounds much nicer.

Each type of capacitor has its own application.