VOGONS

First post, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a P55T2P4 v3.0 coming in the mail. It's the 256kb cache version with a COAST slot. Research seems to tell me I need to use pipeline burst cache, which seems to be easy enough to find. However, the manual says I need to use modules that conform to the 2.0 COAST spec or higher. I'm not really sure how to identify this. Will I just have to research individual modules? Or is there something telltale I can look for? Another thing I am wondering about is, does the coast module "replace" the onboard cache? Meaning, do I need the 512kb coast to get 512kb, or will a 256kb module be 'added' to the onboard cache, for a total of 512kb?

Reply 1 of 1, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SRAM of the cache stick is added to the onboard cache. Correct jumpering is needed in most cases to achieve this. Generally mainboards require identical sizes i.e. 256K onboard cache plus 256K cache on a stick for a total of 512K.

THere are several "COAST versions" that are downwards compatible and there are also Cache Sticks with proprietary "revision numbers" that are not identical with the COAST standard versions.

I´m testing Cache sticks on one of my ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE and it´s compatible to nearly every stick except for very exotic models.
I would recommend buying a cheap stick with the typical layout with 2 x 128K SRAM chips and it´s own TAG RAM and chances are good it will work on your T2P4.
The latest BIOS won´t hurt anyway.