VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have my Windows 98 computer (K6-2 300mhz) connected a Panasonic KXp-2130/2135 (I added the color kit).
Now, this was my main printer once upon a time (about the time the computer was my main computer...)
The printer will only printout garbage... random characters. I'm using the Panasonic Win98 driver.
Printing a test page results in random characters being printed out; so does printing from Wordpad.
The printer port is set to ECP/EPP, DMA 3, int 378(?)

Now I also have a Gorilla Banana printer (the same printer as the Tandy DMP 100 / Line Printer VII and the CBM Vic-1525). A 7 pin printer.
I couldn't find a driver for it, so I used an Epson MX-80 driver.
I connected it to the same computer in place of the Panasonic.
I turn it on, or try to print, and I can hear a solenoid click, and the the error light comes on.

Does anybody have any advice on how to troubleshoot these problems?
I really love these printers and I really want to use them.

Reply 1 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the Panasonic one:
It sounds like a defective cable to me. Check this things:
- Most printers have an internal test page, so print it. It should be triggered by powering the printer while a key is held (i.e.: Power + Line Feed), refer to your manual. If that page is fine, the trouble is outside the printer. If it fails, you have some kind of board problems.
- Go to command prompt and type COPY CON LPT1 (or your printer port). Write some characters and press intro. Write some characters more and press intro. Then press control+L and control+z. The characters should be printed. If they match, you have problems with your driver; if they don't match you have some kind of problem with your PC port, your cable or your printer port. Repeat the test with another cable and/or PC (BTW, AFAIR, ctrl+L means "eject page" and ctrl+Z finishes the character input and returns to command prompt).
- If your printer fails even after using a good known cable, I'd suggest to check your port connections and traces in the printer board... maybe they've shorted or are broken.

About the Gorilla one:
It looks like a mechanical failure to me. Maybe a motor is faulty (do you hear a motor trying to move something?), maybe a sensor is dirty and the printer thinks it have a fault. Try to clean that printer and get a service manual...

About both printers:
Every Windows version since 3.11 have a "Generic / Text Only" printer driver. It is not very useful because it won't print graphics, but it is useful to do some checks. It is the equivalent to the COPY CON thing, and it should work with every dot matrix printer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 3, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay, I went into the case, tried a printer card which didn't work at all... unplugged and replugged the cable switched to 278 from 378 interrupt...
Don't think the interrupt change was necessary; I suspect that somehow, in working on other cables the printer cable came partially detached from the motherboard.

The Panasonic 2130/2135 works fine now.

Tomorrow I plan on opening up the Gorilla Banana. I really hope I can get it working; it was comparatively rare, I believe, but for some perverse reason I desperately want to create / see 7-pin printouts with their lack of descenders. I'm hoping it's a cable I can replace or some silicon grease I can apply or just a sharp tap I can give that will get it working again.