VOGONS

First post, by Dzejrin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

I recently bought the HP T5710 thin client. I'm going to install Windows 98 SE on it using a bootable USB stick. In fact, I already tried to do so. I used HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to create a Windows 98 Startup Disk and copied install files from the CD. I even managed to boot the USB stick and start Windows setup, but...

I have 5 available Flash Disks from which 2 are completely dead and cannot even be formatted. 1 is faulty and always fails during setup reporting damaged .CAB file (each time I formatted it at different stage). Remainig 2 are not booting in the thin client, therefore I assume they are incompatible. I also tried USB Card reader which maps SD Card as a mass storage device. Also not booting...

Finally, to my question. Does anyone know which USB sticks are working with this machine? Or can you please tell me which sticks did and did not work for you? So that I will know which one to buy.

Reply 1 of 4, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I see this is one of those that use a small SSD over a 44pin IDE. Probably the best step is to just replace it with an IDE - CF adapter like this. If or when you make your purchase pay attention to the IDE connector (female and facing down).

Or you can use one with a male connector and a ribbon cable like here, but it looks a bit messier:
prez-1.jpg

Using CF cards are imo more practical than buying one of those tiny SSDs. You can just put them into an USB card reader and save an image you can write back on new CF cards ad infinitum if one happens to fail.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 4, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use rufus to create the bootable usb drive, make sure to safely eject it before unplugging

Boot from your USB drive to DOS only, use fdisk to create a partition and format the internal HDD, run "sys c:" to install a minimal DOS to the HDD, use xcopy to copy the windows setup disc to the HDD, boot from the internal HDD to your new DOS install, run the windows setup file

Reply 4 of 4, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-04-07, 05:52:
As I see this is one of those that use a small SSD over a 44pin IDE. Probably the best step is to just replace it with an IDE - […]
Show full quote

As I see this is one of those that use a small SSD over a 44pin IDE. Probably the best step is to just replace it with an IDE - CF adapter like this. If or when you make your purchase pay attention to the IDE connector (female and facing down).

Or you can use one with a male connector and a ribbon cable like here, but it looks a bit messier:
prez-1.jpg

Using CF cards are imo more practical than buying one of those tiny SSDs. You can just put them into an USB card reader and save an image you can write back on new CF cards ad infinitum if one happens to fail.

I bought one CF adapter with female connecter facing down,
with size just like the one in the image. unfortunately it's a little wider and can't fit, blocked by the white PCI slot. guess I have to get a ribbon cable or just buy a DOM.

EDIT: I narrowed the adapter board with scissors, still cannot fit.🤣
EDIT: got a 32G DOM and it's recognized by the BIOS.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD