VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, not every OS. But just for the lolz I'm going to try to install DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 98, Windows XP, and Debian Linux all on the same laptop.

Thinkpad X60 specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200
Intel GMA945
1024x768 TFT
3 GB RAM (max chipset can handle)
128GB SATA SSD
Intel HD Audio with AD1981HD codec
Intel 82573L Ethernet
Intel 3945ABG WiFi

I'll probably split the drive up 16/16/32/64 for DOS/Win31, Win98SE, WinXP, and Debian.

I'll have to install DOS/Win31 first, then Win98SE, then WinXP, then finally Debian.

Drivers for the older OS's will be a pain, and DOS games will be limited to PC speaker sound, but I think I'll still be able to get a lot of things working.

I'll post updates here as I go along.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have created the DOS/Win31 and Win98 partitions (16 GB each) and copied over all the setup files and drivers.

I was able to find drivers for DOS and Windows 98 for the built-in ethernet card, but not WiFi (as expected). I'll be using a little USB-powered ethernet to WiFi bridge device to connect to WiFi networks.

For graphics, the generic VESA drivers should suffice (the patched SVGA drivers for Win31, and VBEMP for Win98)

For sound, I found some custom HDA drivers someone made that might work. I'll try them and see, but I think it's a crap shoot.

Reply 4 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Posting this from the X60, on Windows 98SE.

I was able to get the built-in Intel ethernet working using the DOS drivers which Intel inexplicably still provides for all of their ethernet cards. I have a WiFi bridge device connected to the ethernet port and powered via USB.

I also got ethernet working in pure DOS. Next will be getting that working on Windows 3.1 as well.

As for running games, I'm not sure... we'll see whether I can get sound working for that!

Reply 5 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The generic VESA driver for Windows 3.1 is incompatible with having network drivers loaded. Causes the same screen garbling you get when trying to open a windowed command prompt with these same drivers.

I'm using basic VGA for now, but I'll need something better. Not sure if there IS anything out there other than that patched SVGA256.DRV

Reply 6 of 11, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-04-09, 19:11:

Thinkpad X60 specs: 3 GB RAM (max chipset can handle)

When I read this I expected it would be 4 GB and checking https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd … ns-thinkpad-x60 it says 4 GB. It says XP is limited to 3 GB but such as the HP Compaq nc6400 can use 3.50 GB so your system may also be able to and I guess time will tell.

Reply 7 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The BIOS on these machines locks TOLUD to 3GB, to keep the other 1GB of addressable space for devices. Some hacked BIOSes can lift this to 3.25GB or even 3.5GB, but this increases the risk of running out of memory space if you connect expansion cards.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 11, by eton975

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-04-10, 19:37:

I was able to find drivers for DOS and Windows 98 for the built-in ethernet card, but not WiFi (as expected). I'll be using a little USB-powered ethernet to WiFi bridge device to connect to WiFi networks.

If it's not too late or a great hassle, would you be able to link or upload the Win98 drivers for the 82573L ethernet chip? I may be building a PCIe based Win 98SE PC soon assuming I can get the AMD 760G based mobo to work. I've googled everywhere for drivers for this chip and have come up blank. There are cheap cards with this chip on Amazon and eBay.

Thanks

Reply 10 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eton975 wrote on 2022-09-04, 15:33:

If it's not too late or a great hassle, would you be able to link or upload the Win98 drivers for the 82573L ethernet chip? I may be building a PCIe based Win 98SE PC soon assuming I can get the AMD 760G based mobo to work. I've googled everywhere for drivers for this chip and have come up blank. There are cheap cards with this chip on Amazon and eBay.

I'm afraid I don't have those drivers any more. However I'd recommend you not use cards with that chip if you're buying one anyway. Get a 3c905 based card; they are cheap, plentiful, and well supported in all operating systems.

Reply 11 of 11, by eton975

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-09-07, 14:48:

I'm afraid I don't have those drivers any more. However I'd recommend you not use cards with that chip if you're buying one anyway. Get a 3c905 based card; they are cheap, plentiful, and well supported in all operating systems.

Turns out the 82574L (as the Pro/1000 CT) has drivers for it anyways. I do have a 3C905B-TX, however it's in use in an older PC and it is nice not to be limited to 10/100. Thanks for responding anyways 😀