VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that 4 of my mobile CPUs have a hairline crack in them. Overheating maybe? Didn't the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo mobile series come with the thermal throttling feature? I have lots of mobile CPUs and this is the first time I've seen cracked ones.

Attachments

• DSCN3247.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN3247.JPG
    File size
    181.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSCN3246.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN3246.JPG
    File size
    219.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCN3245.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN3245.JPG
    File size
    242.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCN3244.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN3244.JPG
    File size
    183.16 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bad handling and bending the package, too much pressure on heatsink (pressing, rocking the heatsink too hard), causes this crack, Look at the edges are nicked badly. Lap your heatsink smooth with 600 to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper lightly, clean 3 times and very clean, and thermal paste replaced when reassembling.

I also have some nicks at edges of the die but did not crack them since I had been careful with them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-11, 17:48:

Bad handling and bending the package, too much pressure on heatsink
Cheers,

I didn't think of that, thanks. I never actually used any of these CPUs, I just collect them. The last time I've seen cracks like that were on heat-damaged socket 370 Celerons and 462 Athlons. But the heatsink idea is more logical.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure those are cracks and not just scratches from the heatsinks or improper handling?

I recently took the cooler off an MSA R9 280 video card that was given to me because it was having issues and the die was scratched from the rough surface of the cooler base.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, those look like scratches on the surface.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's hard to take a good photo of these they are so small. When I run my nails across the surface it feels jagged like a cracked surface.
They are almost identical and run through the entire surface of the die. I got them in this condition many months ago but I don't have socket P or any other notebook mainboards to try them. They don't show any sign of burns or discolorations like burned desktop Athlons or Celerons.
Pentiumspeed is probably right, someone must have over-tightened the heatsink screws.