VOGONS

First post, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi vogoners.i want to build a ultimate dos machine.
I would install msdos 6.22 and get higher dos benchmark points.
Aim is not backward compability for games.
On my i5-gtx 1050 ti main machine i get poor dos performance?
Cpu-Mobo:
Which platform which generation? My goal is raw dos performance
Graphics:
Agp pci pciex16? Brand model?
Sound:
Buzzer was enough for me
i need your advices...

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know why you're posting this in "Old Hardware" if you're not looking at old hardware.

Kotu Koylu wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:19:

The whole exercise is going to be pretty pointless considering that there is no DOS game that requires unusually powerful hardware, but you're at least going to have to clarify what you are using for a benchmark. What makes you think you get "poor DOS performance" on this computer?

Reply 2 of 6, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-11, 21:18:

I don't know why you're posting this in "Old Hardware" if you're not looking at old hardware.

Kotu Koylu wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:19:

The whole exercise is going to be pretty pointless considering that there is no DOS game that requires unusually powerful hardware, but you're at least going to have to clarify what you are using for a benchmark. What makes you think you get "poor DOS performance" on this computer?

i want highest score on 3dbench and Topbench.
Here is Dos/Win9x section so thread on thats section.
i have many agp/pci cards,systems but i cant pass 500 point on topbench? What is the problem ok?
You said that pointless but my goal is that

Reply 3 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will want to use fastvid and mtrrlfbe in order to get the most out of your CPU:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-graphics-boost.html

Sometime around maxwell nvidia removed a bunch of legacy VESA modes from the firmware. Everything you see on a 1050ti will be scalled in hardware, which probably hurts performance.

Despite what you might expect, the 2d performance on modern graphics cards probably isn't any better than on retro cards - possibly worse. None of those shaders are going to be put to use.

You can still run CPU benchmarks like speedsys if you want, but I believe speedsys will glitch out with really fast CPUs and give you a bogus score.

Getting the fastest DOS computer "just because" is actually harder than it seems. My guess would be an older system with AGP will probably score better in something like 3d bench. Maybe an S3 Savage 3d card or something of that era will be the "fastest" but its hard to say.

Reply 4 of 6, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-04-11, 22:14:
You will want to use fastvid and mtrrlfbe in order to get the most out of your CPU: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-graphic […]
Show full quote

You will want to use fastvid and mtrrlfbe in order to get the most out of your CPU:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-graphics-boost.html

Sometime around maxwell nvidia removed a bunch of legacy VESA modes from the firmware. Everything you see on a 1050ti will be scalled in hardware, which probably hurts performance.

Despite what you might expect, the 2d performance on modern graphics cards probably isn't any better than on retro cards - possibly worse. None of those shaders are going to be put to use.

You can still run CPU benchmarks like speedsys if you want, but I believe speedsys will glitch out with really fast CPUs and give you a bogus score.

Getting the fastest DOS computer "just because" is actually harder than it seems. My guess would be an older system with AGP will probably score better in something like 3d bench. Maybe an S3 Savage 3d card or something of that era will be the "fastest" but its hard to say.

What i have on Agp :
Voodoo Banshee
Geforce 256 SDR
TNT2 variations
MX440
Fx5200
Fx5500
Geforce 6200
Radeon 9500
Radeon 9250
Matrox g450
S3 trio 3d/2x 😀
PCI:
S3/Matrox /Voodoo 1- 2/IGD 1682/FX5500
Mobos:socket 7 up to lga 775
Combine these please for hi-score?

Reply 6 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The voodoo banshee is pretty fast in DOS, but in terms of which is "fastest" that is hard to say. Most people aren't trying to use modern systems in DOS because of all the weird issues you can expect to run into. You maybe a bit pioneer in this area. It will be up to you to find out what works best 😀.