VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote on 2022-01-28, 15:05:

Awesome - I've definitely held on to a bunch of these S2000s (and their 3rd party variants) and Elites simply because of their lovely GM sounds. I typically pair them with a Creative product like a SB16/Pro or Awe64 (in my time machine).

Yeah I'm going to pair the S-2000 with a Texelec Resound 2 OPL3 card. I bought a Y-splitter audio cable so that I can have them both plugged in at the same time to one set of speakers, and I'll just mute the Midi on the S-2000 in the mixer when I want to use OPL in DOS, that way the crappy OLP emulation won't need to be disabled just muted and all I will hear is the genuine OPL. That way I'll also not need to disable the SB emulation on the card and I can still get SB sound effects from the S-2000 while hearing the FM synth on the Resound card. When I want to use General midi, I can just unmute the midi.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 21 of 26, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-01-28, 04:14:

The picture looks like 2mg. It doesn't have any IDE headers or the header for a daughterboard so its a basic S-2000. The Vivo I have (Not a Vivo 90) is 1mb, but it still sounded great when it worked.

The Soundscape with the daughterboard header is called "Soundscape Elite", not "Soundscape 2000". Otherwise, it's a very similar card, at newer drivers even upload the same firmware to both models. The firmware detects the presence of the daughterboard and enables handling of some SysEx commands to control the chorus/reverb parameters if the board is present.

Reply 22 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-01-28, 16:02:
Artex wrote on 2022-01-28, 15:05:

Awesome - I've definitely held on to a bunch of these S2000s (and their 3rd party variants) and Elites simply because of their lovely GM sounds. I typically pair them with a Creative product like a SB16/Pro or Awe64 (in my time machine).

I bought a Y-splitter audio cable so that I can have them both plugged in at the same time to one set of speakers

If you are talking about a simple passive Y cable, you definitely want to avoid using that to connect two outputs to one output, because it can damage the outputs and will likely not sound very good .
https://gearspace.com/board/newbie-audio-engi … el-signals.html

You need either an audio mixer, a switcher (in which case you can only hear one card at once), a DIY summing circuit or simply to feed the line out out of one card into the line input of the other .

Be careful .

Reply 23 of 26, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-01-28, 16:02:

Yeah I'm going to pair the S-2000 with a Texelec Resound 2 OPL3 card. [...] That way I'll also not need to disable the SB emulation on the card and I can still get SB sound effects from the S-2000 while hearing the FM synth on the Resound card.

That will work, and replacing the awful OPL2 emulation of the SS2000 by a genuine OPL3 makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, as the SB emulation of the SS2000 also is quite mediocre, pairing the SS2000 with a cheap SB-Pro/WSS compatible clone card might make more sense than pairing it with a pure OPL3 card.

Reply 24 of 26, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-01-29, 05:26:
If you are talking about a simple passive Y cable, you definitely want to avoid using that to connect two outputs to one output, […]
Show full quote

If you are talking about a simple passive Y cable, you definitely want to avoid using that to connect two outputs to one output, because it can damage the outputs and will likely not sound very good .
https://gearspace.com/board/newbie-audio-engi … el-signals.html

You need either an audio mixer, a switcher (in which case you can only hear one card at once), a DIY summing circuit or simply to feed the line out out of one card into the line input of the other .

Be careful .

Yeah I'm not going to do this. I'm going the "Feed the line out of one card into the line input of the other" route. Works great with an SB 16 Vibra I have. I mute the midi on the Vibra to test and it works great.

I can, (in theory) use the SB 16 as 2nd card but I bought this nice resound FM synth card and I want to use it. Its got nice noise blocking features built into it.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 25 of 26, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally found an S 2000 that works great. Awww that GM is sooooooo good. I also was able to get the audio pic 1370 to work in DOS 6.22. The audio quality was great and the GM 8mb was spectacular though s2000 still sounds better to me.

Reply 26 of 26, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-07-08, 01:48:

So I finally found an S 2000 that works great. Awww that GM is sooooooo good. I also was able to get the audio pic 1370 to work in DOS 6.22. The audio quality was great and the GM 8mb was spectacular though s2000 still sounds better to me.

YES! The S-2000 is still one of my favorite cards for General Midi (second only to the SoundScape Elite imo). Did you get the 1MB or 2MB ROM version?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg