VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have been having bad luck trying to obtain a working LS-120, internal 3.5 drive. The last premade PC I ever had, a Gateway Performance 450, had one in it. I am hunting them down for nostalgia. I have a working parallel version, and I will hunt down a USB version so that I can use 120mb disks on all of my old systems. However, I would like to utilize an internal LS-120 in one of my boxes.

The latest one was cheap. However, it will read only 1.44mb discs. Using SuperDisks that were tested to be working in the parallel drive, cannot be read as 120mb disks. Windows 98 pop up claims that the disks are not formatted, and when looking at formatting one, I can only select 1.44mb as the option.

I am sure that the laser is shot/misaligned/dirty, and that the floppy head is fine. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I read somewhere that someone used a vacuum on theirs, and it worked. I thought about that, or using compressed air on it. I am growing weary of hunting for these, and while I heard that LS-240 drives are superior, I have never come across one. If I can't get this to work, I may just grab a few external and internal Zip 250 drives. I use CF-IDE adapters and can transfer files that way, though I enjoy using period hardware and have been buying other external drivers, such as CD writers, a Procom PXF 1200 (which I can't use yet due to a lack of a compatible 37 pin floppy card,) and whatever else I can find.

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 1, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LS-120 media are kinda touchy. Not really meant to last forever. The drives are also kinda "sensible". The heads easily misallign. Not sure how to fix that. The guy here claims 40% of all LS-120 media are kinda "bad" and that was 10 years ago. He seems to have had some luck with VHS bulk erasers. The LS-240 though are pretty good quality and very durable.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/152567-ls-120-su … -win98-and-dos/

Seen a few LS-240 - but quite expensive. Man these are nice. I loved that feature to format a regular 3.5 Inch floppy disk from 1.44 MB to 32MB. Drawback was that you could only read/write the WHOLE disk, not single file and only with the LS-240 and only with that SuperWriter32 tool, but man that was so crazy to have 32MB on an ordinary floppy.