VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there! I have a question about 586 upgrade kits before I possibly dump money on one.

Im using a SOYO 025L2. This board seems to be related to a bunch of similarly named SOYO boards, although not exactly the same in terms of jumpers. I have a regular 5x86-133 installed, motherboard set for a DX2-66. The jumpers on this board for a DX/DX2/DX4 are practically the same. But the chip ONLY runs at 100mhz, No matter the configuration.

I know some of those 586 upgrade kits like the Turbochip/Powerstacker have dip switches to force the board into different modes. I was curious if using one of those would get me past the 100mhz barrier, or if this is a BIOS issue. Since it seems like these chips work at 133 in even older boards.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably using the default x3 multiplier of the 5x86, so you get 100 MHz (33x3). DX4-class CPUs feature a pin called CLKMUL that can be grounded to set this multiplier to x2 (or x4 in the case of the 5x86 to give you 133MHz), but the motherboard needs to have the appropriate jumpers to do this, otherwise you're stuck with the default x3. The interposer in those upgrade kits does exactly this, allowing them to set the multiplier despite lack of motherboard support.

I guess soldering a wire from the CLKMUL pin in the socket to a GND should produce the same effect, but you better know what you're doing before attempting that.

Reply 3 of 3, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-04-17, 01:01:

It's probably using the default x3 multiplier of the 5x86, so you get 100 MHz (33x3). DX4-class CPUs feature a pin called CLKMUL that can be grounded to set this multiplier to x2 (or x4 in the case of the 5x86 to give you 133MHz), but the motherboard needs to have the appropriate jumpers to do this, otherwise you're stuck with the default x3. The interposer in those upgrade kits does exactly this, allowing them to set the multiplier despite lack of motherboard support.

I guess soldering a wire from the CLKMUL pin in the socket to a GND should produce the same effect, but you better know what you're doing before attempting that.

Excellent news! Guess il be picking one up then, thank you 😄