VOGONS

First post, by cruisd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! New here. Reason for it is that I've been working on putting together a 486 for retro gaming. The glory days of PC gaming for me was the 486 days playing all of the old Sierra and Lucas games. Quest For Glory is what really got it going for me. 😀

Anyway, I picked up a case that came with a motherboard, 50mhz DX chip, 2mb ram, and a PCP&C 200 watt PSU but I can't for the life of me identify the motherboard. I'm curious to see how far i can upgrade it as I've got an old AMD 100MHz DX4.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

PXL_20210417_040711555.jpg
Filename
PXL_20210417_040711555.jpg
File size
693.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 17, by paprika

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks quite close to this one maybe? Some chip positioning is off, but I think that's the closest at stason.org...

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/S … B-SYM-486C.html

--
Forgotten Computer
Computers and stuff at my YouTube Channel

Reply 4 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is not voltage regulator to bring it below 5v. You could probably use a Pentium Overdrive, any of the 486 Overdrive, or any of the AMD based upgrade chips (486 or 5x86) that have a voltage regulator.

The part number.. looks like "AI486 EISA" makes me think it might be an Advanced Integration motherboard.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sure is a nice Varta Battery ...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given it's EISA you just need to check what the motherboard PnP ID is.

I suspect you could do this from an EISA configuration utility or my SIV utility will report it once you have Windows is running.

In the attached SIV looked up MIC0001 in PNPDEVS.txt to get Micronics EISA 486/33/25 System Board

file.php?id=107906

Attachments

• MIC0001.png
    Filename
    MIC0001.png
    File size
    68.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 17, by cruisd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet! Thanks for all of the replies! I'm going to put it together with 50MHz chip and see how the system does. I had no intention of buying this motherboard but since it came with the case why not? However, if the games I intend to play struggle I'll upgrade the motherboard and put in the 100Mhz chip I have here. I'm trying to avoid it altogether but I'm starting to think that maybe even going Pentium 133/166 might be the way to go. I plan on running Win98SE which I hear is a dog with less than 75Mhz. /shrug. I'll keep you all posted. I will also be starting a build thread at some point.

Reply 11 of 17, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paprika wrote on 2021-04-17, 05:40:

Looks quite close to this one maybe? Some chip positioning is off, but I think that's the closest at stason.org...

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/S … B-SYM-486C.html

Wrong chipset, all ISA instead of 6 EISA/2 ISA, jumper locations are way off. No match. Oh and we're building UH19 just to make it easier to get a proper ID. Without any ads.
https://www.ultimateretro.net/

Currently trying to find a matching board.

Last edited by evasive on 2021-11-24, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by cruisd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So in the end I went with a Pentium motherboard that I found that came with CPU and 16MB of ram. I used that instead. My weekend project is nearly complete!

I put the computer together yesterday (mostly, still waiting on a few parts) and got the machine to POST. So far so good.

I worked on the case and fixed all the issues. Also gave it a nice coat of Seafoam green spray paint. It's kind of a lighter seafoam which I actually like more.

comp1.jpg
Filename
comp1.jpg
File size
409.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
comp3.jpg
Filename
comp3.jpg
File size
425.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
comp2.jpg
Filename
comp2.jpg
File size
526.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And here is the direction I'm headed with the setup. It's going to have its own special area. This is just a mockup on my dining table 😜

comp4.jpg
Filename
comp4.jpg
File size
154.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I think it turned out quite nice. Thoughts?

All it's missing is an LGR case badge 😜

Reply 14 of 17, by cruisd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-05-11, 13:15:

Could you make a bios dump from the 486 EISA board so we can add it in UH19 please?

And what Pentium board did you end up with?

Unfortunately I never even tried to power it on. Went straight for the Pentium board. I will try it sometime though. Or I'd be happy to ship it to you if you're interested in checking it out? I'm not even sure it works though.

The Pentium board I got is the J656HXA by Jetway I believe. I've heard it's not the best board for a vintage box but because it had ram and a CPU included all for $50 I just went for it just to see. All part of the fun 😀 I can always get another board later if I want.

Anyway, I will be starting a build thread pretty soon and a YouTube channel as well! The YouTube channel will be about many of my passions, one of the main ones being computers. Old and new.

I also have several vintage IBM Thinkpads I'll be reviewing. Circa 1997-1999ish.

Reply 15 of 17, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2021-04-17, 10:57:

Given it's EISA you just need to check what the motherboard PnP ID is.

That is a good start, but doesn't always help. I've seen a "no-name" SiS-based EISA board that uses the ID "SIS0000". The Chipset has a progammable ID, and the BIOS should set up a board-specific ID, but this vendor chose to leave the generic SiS ID in the BIOS and shipped it with the basic "so you can get started" CFG file supplied by SiS.

Reply 16 of 17, by cruisd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. A few of you sent me messages requesting the old board but I cannot reply since I'm a newb here. One of you sent me their email and I'll be replying in the next week or so. Haven't been on here in a while since I got a cold that lasted several weeks and you know...life. I was away from home for several but just came back today. Hoping to play with the machine in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I do plan on being here more often but you guys all know how it goes. PS - Just ordered an RTX 3080TI today for my current machine 😜.

Reply 17 of 17, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cruisd64 wrote on 2021-06-04, 07:45:

Hey guys. A few of you sent me messages requesting the old board but I cannot reply since I'm a newb here. One of you sent me their email and I'll be replying in the next week or so. Haven't been on here in a while since I got a cold that lasted several weeks and you know...life. I was away from home for several but just came back today. Hoping to play with the machine in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I do plan on being here more often but you guys all know how it goes. PS - Just ordered an RTX 3080TI today for my current machine 😜.

Hey, do you still have that 486 EISA board ?