VOGONS

First post, by Rainroark207

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Socket A mobo (A7V8X-X) I'm trying to get running. While in storage, some surface mount components came off. Hoping someone can help me figure out what they are. I'll attach some pictures, but they are on the back of the board under the northbridge. I imagine most boards with a Via KT400 will have identical components.

I replaced some missing components off an identical board, but sadly two appear missing from both boards.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you resolder some of those? It doesn´t look like being done in the factory.
It seems the missing ones were ceramic capacitors too. I would try 1 -10nF 50V, depending on the form factor. (Or, desolder one and measure the exact capacity.)

Reply 2 of 7, by Rainroark207

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2021-04-19, 17:12:

Did you resolder some of those? It doesn´t look like being done in the factory.
It seems the missing ones were ceramic capacitors too. I would try 1 -10nF 50V, depending on the form factor. (Or, desolder one and measure the exact capacity.)

Yes, I replaced around 8 or 9, but they didn't seem to be all the same when I tested them, though I could be wrong.

Reply 3 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the board but I have no capacitor tester.
Some smd are brown- caps, others are grey- filters (I have 32.2 ohm reading on them).

Some you have resoldered are filters and not capacitors like the one on the lower right corner of the first circled missing part. Lower right to that one is a filter too.
Top left is filter, not a capacitor.

Second component is a capacitor.

I'll take a high res pic tomorrow.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Highlighted are inductors (filters).

Attachments

• a7v8x-x.jpg
    Filename
    a7v8x-x.jpg
    File size
    925.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by Rainroark207

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-04-20, 13:29:

Highlighted are inductors (filters).

Thanks, I took off several capacitors and they all tested the same. Sadly replacing the missing spots with the donor capacitors didn't get the board working, debug code A1. I'll painfully swap them to the other board and try, though it is in far worse shape overall.

Reply 7 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you put a capacitor where an inductor should be, no current is crossing and no signal is going.
Unless you soldered inductors where I highlighted you aren't going to see a POST, if that's the issue.
Let's keep being positive 😀