VOGONS

First post, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a IBM PS/2 65 SX. It has a 16Mhz Intel 386SX processor, 6 MB of RAM, and a 60 MB SCSI hard drive. It was actually my main PC for a long while until about 2001 when I upgraded to a more modern machine. Recently, I took it out of storage and tried to power it on. Even though it has been almost twenty years - it turned on. I then got a series of errors which I identified as the RTC chip battery having gone bad. I ordered a new DS1287 RTC chip from eBay and it arrived today.

While the new RTC chip seems to work fine, I unfortunately now have a new series of errors which I don't know how to fix.

01.png
0210607U 190I

02.png
Configuration Error - 00162

03.png
SCSI Device Error - 21060

04.png
Error code = 00065000
Diskette drive B is not running at the correct speed.

05.png
Error - 1 SCSI Fixed Disk(s)
Error Code = 0210607U
Vendor ID = ???????? Return Code = 9319

Device Inquiry operation failed.

06.png
Drive did not respond.

07.png
Warning
SCSI device configuration could not find the fixed disks that were previously configured.

08.png
IBM Model WDS-387

The strange thing is that I can hear the hard drive spin up during configuration so I know that it isn't completely broken. I also happen to have two MCA SCSI cards; both pass the reference disk system test, and neither allows the hard drive to work. I've tried reseating the cards and disconnecting and reconnecting all the cables. Unfortunately without success.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not surprised that hard drive do and will fail like this, this should do test seeks at start up before SCSI controller initializes before start OS up.

Try one of standard SCSI hard drive instead, don't have to be 60MB. Any thing up to 1GB.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 10, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only have a few vintage SCSI drives. All of them are unfortunately bigger than 1 GB because they come from late 90s machines. Also what makes this particular drive interesting is that it is a time capsule from twenty years ago. It'd be interesting to have a look at what I was doing at the time.

I've been looking at vintage hard drive repair. I might end up opening this one up and having a peek inside - literally.

Reply 3 of 10, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be cautious about opening it up, probably worth trying to check the drive electronics first. I had someone's old hard drive to try and get working, last span up in 2001. It briefly span up, then stopped. Got lucky and found someone on ebay selling the control pcb for the same model drive (Seagate). Tested out the resistance to the main motor and they looked ok, so I experimented just swapping the boards over. No expectation of it working (drive head parameters are stored on an eeprom, in this case probably embedded in the main head control IC) but I wanted to see if the disk span up and the heads tried to seek, which they did although nothing could be read. Which suggested that the drive was physically ok, so didn't need opening up and exposing to dust.

I then got really lucky and moved the firmware ic from the replacement board to the duff board, and then the drive span up and could image the drive.

Bit rambling, but point being that I think opening the drive should be last resort after checking everything else first.

Reply 5 of 10, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know the PS/2, but it looks like it was sold with 320MB as an option:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/27e2.htm

This thread says that the boot drive has to be less than 1GB in a model 70:
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/pcs- … -PS-2-Model-70=

Hmm, I wonder if 4330 happens to be ~40MB past 4GB.
4096 MB * 1,048,576 = 4,294,967,296. Using hard-drive manufacturer maths, that looks like 4295MB. So that reported 40MB could just be how it wraps around when the drive is too big. Do your other disks show up as different sizes?

Reply 6 of 10, by techgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have an access to a vintage Mac, attach the hard drive to the SCSI bus (set a SCSI id different from the IDs of the other attached drives), terminate it, if it is the last drive on the bus and install FWB Hard disk toolkit (preferably version 4.52) on the internal Mac drive. FWB is a very powerful program with many options for testing and formatting SCSI drives. It is possible that the system area had been messed up, and FWB can restore the disk parameters table using its inbuilt library. It has an option for reading the SCSI sense keys among many others. Don't format the drive! If FWB fails, I would assume that the drive controller is dead or it is on its last leg.

Reply 7 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As someone who loves these machines, those hard drives are so unreliable, I don't even have a funny analogy to compare them to. They are RELIABLY TERRIBLE. Even new.

Cut your losses. Get a SD/SCSI adapter.

if you want to keep the "sound", leave the hard drive plugged into power, just not data.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 10, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

10.png
11.png

Lacking any better ideas, I went ahead and opened the drive.

The first thing I noticed was the discolouring at the edge of the disk surface. "This probably isn't a good sign" went through my head. The actuator arm was unmoving. The heads were stuck so hard it was like it was welded to the disk surface - also probably not a good sign. I got the heads unstuck by manipulating the actuator arm, but the amount of force required to do so was very worrying. In hindsight I should probably also have tried moving the spindle at the same time.

I reassembled the drive and put it into the computer. It made this OouuaAaOouuaAaOouuaAa-kind of sound and then went silent. The drive isn't recognized at all anymore in the SCSI configuration menu. I tried powering the computer off and on a few times, but it made no difference. I took the hard drive top cover off and tried powering it on and the spindle isn't turning. The yellow activity light on the side of the drive is just blinking now and then but nothing is happening. None of the mechanical components are doing anything and it isn't even making that sound it did the first time I turned it on.

I mean, it was broken already so this doesn't make much of a difference. Having watched those YouTube videos though, I kinda hoped that there would have been a simple solution to my issue as well.

Reply 10 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normal look of the spluttered plating platters. Not rust which is opaque orange on early hard drives.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.