VOGONS

First post, by for_coffee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The other day I received a voodoo 3 3000 with missing caps, It worked for a few days until I was using it and suddenly there was no signal. Since then I have replaced all of the caps and given the board a full clean with IPA.

The computer posts and boots into windows (I can tell because of the HDD light on my case) but there is no signal coming through my monitor. I have tried all the basic troubleshooting steps and nothing has changed. I was thinking the rusted VGA plug might affect it.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• image9.jpeg
    Filename
    image9.jpeg
    File size
    17.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image8.jpeg
    Filename
    image8.jpeg
    File size
    22.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • image11.jpeg
    Filename
    image11.jpeg
    File size
    18.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • image10.jpeg
    Filename
    image10.jpeg
    File size
    20.61 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 5, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think using it with missing caps might have been a fatal mistake... 🙁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the caps are ment to offload or balance voltages it may have destroyed the card (main chips, ram to be a bit more precisely). Not that's not a sure thing yet. Can you see anything visible on three components that you could question?

I have a voodoo 1 which misses 20+ caps that have clearly not been placed in the factory. The card worked for 10 frames and froze my computer entirely. There was one missing that had been there and was missing, and restoring that single one made the card work again.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had voodoo 3 3000 cards with these caps missing and even without these caps they worked

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative