VOGONS

First post, by 486guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to setup a serial mouse with a Floppy/IDE controller card (Winbond W83758P/W83757F) and it took me a while to find out that the serial cable connector that came with it is the culprit. I bought mine on ebay and I thought the seller must have changed the serial cable connector with an incorrect one? Although on ebay when you look for this controller card they come with exactly the same serial cable connector as mine. I’m not really sure why but with jumper wires i rerouted the pins according to the RS-232 mouse pinouts and now my serial mouse works with this controller card.

Do you know any other available 9pin serial cable connector other the usual one?

5FC4E2A2-93F8-4C61-AAFE-DC40A7B0DA10.jpeg
Filename
5FC4E2A2-93F8-4C61-AAFE-DC40A7B0DA10.jpeg
File size
324.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two different pinout standards for RS-232 serial port headers in motherboards/cards (AT/EVEREX and DTK/INTEL):

RS232 serial motherboard header connector pinout

You can easily determine which one is supported by your card by checking whether GND connects to pin #5 or #9. Unfortunately unless you can open the cable or test it yourself there's no simple way to know beforehand if it's the right one for your controller. Some online stores that sell cables/brackets do specify what pinout is used though.

Reply 2 of 2, by 486guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-04-21, 15:54:

There are two different pinout standards for RS-232 serial port headers in motherboards/cards (AT/EVEREX and DTK/INTEL):

RS232 serial motherboard header connector pinout

You can easily determine which one is supported by your card by checking whether GND connects to pin #5 or #9. Unfortunately unless you can open the cable or test it yourself there's no simple way to know beforehand if it's the right one for your controller. Some online stores that sell cables/brackets do specify what pinout is used though.

That clears up my confusion with the pin headers. Thanks a lot!