VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm unsure where to go for my next Windows 7 build. I've had the e8500 running XP for a while but fancy using 7 for a bit and play some games that are on Steam that don't like modern hardware or don't support 4:3 like MOH airborne and Brothers in Arms and Condemned.

I'm turn between these CPUs and whilst I am leaning towards the x3 because it is 'interesting' the board I have only had two RAM slots so I'd be limited to 4GB of RAM.

Any of these builds would be paired with an SSD and a graphics card with about 8800GT performance. For some reason I have an 8600GT, GT340 and 4830 all of which perform similarly with the 8600 being a bit slower obviously.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 1, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These CPUs are all in the same ballpark, with the E8500 giving (only just) best single-core performance, the X3 450 best overall performance in multithreaded apps, but Q6600 winning in very threaded applications with preference for Intel architecture. Unless you have very specific software in mind that is pretty extreme in terms of requirements, it really doesn't matter much and I'd focus on motherboard features/preference. Which boards are you considering?