VOGONS

First post, by ahurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A month or two back, I went with my partner to a thrift shop and ended up finding something beautifully weird: a Gravis Xterminator gamepad, which is one of those odd pre-USB gamepads that connects through a Gameport but uses proprietary digital signals instead of the normal analog ones. In addition to an analog stick and some really nice-feeling trigger buttons, it also has a D-pad, 9 buttons, a 4-way hat, and a little slider on the face. Since we were getting some other odds and ends too and the price tag was missing on the Xterminator, the guy at the counter just let me have it for free. Cool!

KmFJryN.jpeg

Anyway, because it was caked in all kinds of grime, I figured I'd take it apart and properly clean the plastic. However, this ended up taking me *much* longer than it should have, since the controller has a hidden screw underneath a flat part of plastic on the bottom with "QC" on it and I didn't realize this until trying all kinds of ways to pry the thing apart. In the process of all this, I *may or may not* have unthinkingly severed the cord from the controller board without making note of which wire colours went where, meaning that I've left it disassembled on my desk for a couple weeks at a loss for what to do:

NN2gi3k.jpeg

Does anyone else here have one of these things? If so, would you be kind enough to take a look at yours and see what the wiring looks like? To properly disassemble the controller you'll need to remove the little flat "QC" region on the back I mentioned (it's a plastic plug that's covering the top of the screw hole, I used a drill and the whole thing came neatly out), but you can also peek at the wiring without removing that if you get the other screws and pry on the back of the case a bit.

Thanks in advance, I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me reclaim my desk space! My ultimate hope is to get this interfacing nicely with USB via Arduino or something, the details of which I intend to post here.

Reply 1 of 6, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So this was my absolute favorite controller back in the day. I beat Wing Commander Prophecy with it, and it's throttle was a godsend for simulators like that. Also used in for Mechwarrior 2: Mercs and a smattering of NES and SNES emulators once upon a time. They released a force feedback USB version, but it dropped the throttle and I didn't like it nearly as much.

Curiously enough, I actually bought one brand new in the box for like, $20 off Amazon recently. These things are super common despite not being made for decades. Funnily enough I still had my old driver cd for it, with a much newer version number than the one I got fresh off Amazon.

I think I've actually seen another Arduino project for one before.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 6, by ahurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2021-04-27, 14:20:

I think I've actually seen another Arduino project for one before.

Since you mentioned it, I did some more digging and found this: https://github.com/prosper00/GRiP-duino

It's not super well-documented, but from the README it sounds like it works! There's also a Linux kernel driver for the Xterminator's protocol which has all the code for decoding its packet format, so if there are any problems with the existing Arduino code it won't require a full-on reverse engineering effort to fix them.

My ultimate dream would be to get it working with one of those tiny Arduino-clone boards that can fit in a DB-15 screw terminal, giving you a tidy plug-and-play USB -to-GrIP cable.

Reply 3 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you know which pins on the game port the colours go to? I'm assuming black (Gnd?) to pin 4 (or 5,12) and red (5V?) to pin 1 (or 8,9,15)? They should be fairly easy to identify on the PCB and only leaves Green and White to sort out (2&7 or 10&14 maybe?). Unless someone else has some internal photos, then getting power to the right place is the first thing to do. A couple of photos showing the front and back of the PCB including P1 (I'm guessing that's where the cable went) and C6 would help.

Those wire colours are suspiciously USB like with the green and white, and photos like here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravis-Xterminator-D … n/dp/B00004YMGV look like a single controller can have a simple USB adapter fitted. I'd guess it wouldn't work for chaining together multiple controllers.

Reply 4 of 6, by ahurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-04-27, 16:07:

Do you know which pins on the game port the colours go to? I'm assuming black (Gnd?) to pin 4 (or 5,12) and red (5V?) to pin 1 (or 8,9,15)? They should be fairly easy to identify on the PCB and only leaves Green and White to sort out (2&7 or 10&14 maybe?). Unless someone else has some internal photos, then getting power to the right place is the first thing to do. A couple of photos showing the front and back of the PCB including P1 (I'm guessing that's where the cable went) and C6 would help.

Those wire colours are suspiciously USB like with the green and white, and photos like here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravis-Xterminator-D … n/dp/B00004YMGV look like a single controller can have a simple USB adapter fitted. I'd guess it wouldn't work for chaining together multiple controllers.

Here are front/back photos of the PCB, with the spot the cables were connected to pointed out with a red arrow: https://imgur.com/a/Y0NrlUy

I *did* test out the port-to-wire connectivity with a multimeter at one point, but I can't find the paper where I wrote down the results right now. From what I remember, I was able to trace all-but-one of the wires (white or green).

Reply 5 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I think it's possible to make a fair guess at the pinout. Looking at the upper side of the PCB, the electrolytic capacitor has its negative terminal facing the top of the board. On the underside you can see that trace going to pin 4 of P1, so is probably Gnd, so given the colour choices, probably the black wire. Equally, the +ve side of the capacitor goes through an inductor (L1) to pin 1 of P1, so is probably red (unless Gravis are being weird). In between are pin 2 & 3, which stay as a pair running down to pin 18 & 16 or U1. So possibly a balanced pair, like USB.

Taking a slightly wild leap, given the wire colours, the track routeing, and what appear to be very simple gameport->usb adapters, I'd guess that this follows USB colours, which makes pin 2 White (D-) and pin 3 Green (D+).

GravisXterminator_PossibleWiring.jpg
Filename
GravisXterminator_PossibleWiring.jpg
File size
142.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One things that might be interesting to try is find a USB cable you don't mind cutting open, snip a connector off of one end, then solder it on to that J1 connector, plug it in to a USB port and see what happens. Either way, you should be able to test whether any of this works without having to reassemble the whole thing. And you may want to wait a bit anyway in case anyone can take/find a photo of an intact connection.

[edit to swap J1 for P1]

Reply 6 of 6, by ahurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-04-27, 18:48:

Ok, so I think it's possible to make a fair guess at the pinout.

This is incredible, thank you so much!!! If no one's been able to confirm the wiring by this weekend I'm going to try soldering it up the way you've illustrated here, and report back with my results. Unfortunately I don't have a

One things that might be interesting to try is find a USB cable you don't mind cutting open, snip a connector off of one end, then solder it on to that J1 connector, plug it in to a USB port and see what happens.

I was curious about that. I wonder if it implements a normal USB-HID interface or whether it requires a custom driver? Regardless, it would mean I could actually test it since I don't have any computers with Gameports handy.