VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was going to try out some DOS games on CDROM and looking for TEAC drivers. Reading the information on vogondrivers for the TEAC CD532E I have, it strongly recommends from daisy chaining the CDROM and hard drive. I have indeed done that because I only have one long IDE cable at the moment. I have my IDE2SD adapter on the same IDE port but I never complained about the speed.

NOTE: Industry-wide, it is not recommended to daisy chain either a CD-ROM or TAPE BACKUP drive with your hard disk drive. The performance of the hard disk drive will be degrated to the maximum speed of the other device since the data transfer rate is as fast as the transfer rate of the slowest device. The slowest device in this case will be either the CD-ROM or TAPE BACKUP drive.
It is recommended to connect your desktop CD-ROM drive as a MASTER in the next available IDE port in your system. Please reference to your system’s manual to identify the number of IDE ports available in your machine.
You can guide yourself by identifying where in the system your hard disk drive C: is physically connected to. In older style PCs, normally you will find the hard disk drive connected to an Interface Card. Check to see if there is a second (unused) 40-pin, male IDE connector on that card. On most current PCs, you will find the hard disk drive connected directly into the motherboard. Is there another 40-pin IDE connector on the motherboard?

To be honest it sounds weird that the CD-ROM would influence in this way. Is it only during reading and writing to both drives simultaneously?

My motherboard is the 5ali61 (Ultra DMA66 version).

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even 2 hard drives will effect performance as they have to take turns using the cable so to speak.
but as Warlord said at least they use the same portal, Adding a ATAPI device such a a CD drive only complicates things more.

However the performance his is negligible IMHO and a fair chance the improved seek times of your SD vs spinning rust makes up for any performance loss.
So in short if you can put them on different channels great but wouldn't loose any sleep if I couldn't.

Reply 3 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always assumed this was about most optical disk drives only supporting UDMA33 while HDDs supported faster modes but since the IDE channel uses the fastest mode of the slowest device the HDD would run at UDMA33 speed as well.

Reply 4 of 4, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wikipedia has some clarification about having multiple devices on the same cable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#Tw … %94speed_impact

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki