VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So getting back into my systems, my K6-3 is really sluggish, almost unbarably, and i don't understand, if it was a K6-2 i'd get it, but its acting like a K6-2 in gui tasks

System specs
Epox MVP3C2
K6-3+ 550
128mb PC133
Voodoo 3 2000PCI
Soundblaster Live
20GB 7200RPM ATA66 drive on ATA33 controller
DVD-Drive
3.5in Floppy
Windows 98SE
Via 4-1 4.43
3dfx Driver 10700
SB Liveware 3.0
Intel Network driver including with Windows 98

And by slow, i mean slow, it lags doing anything on Windows 98SE, which i don't think it should, and final note DMA is turned on

Reply 1 of 5, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had some wonky issues with a similar setup once. K6-2 processor, SBLive, PCI Graphics cards, MVP3 chipset. It was most manifest in horrific, uncharacteristic stuttering in GLQuake. But it was felt everywhere. EAX effects crackled horribly. Frame timings felt horrible, and input felt lagged, even in games that otherwise seemed to have acceptable frame rates.

I had to install the PCI Latency Patch for VIA Chipsets and it worked like a charm. All the weirdness cleared right up. I lead to believe the SBLive is most responsible for the issues, being extremely demanding on the PCI bus in a way that's not entirely in spec. But apparently VIA plays a bit loose and fast with the PCI spec as well. Put the two together and you end up with a bad time. But this fix seemed to have helped at least my problems.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Namrok wrote on 2021-04-27, 16:01:

I had some wonky issues with a similar setup once. K6-2 processor, SBLive, PCI Graphics cards, MVP3 chipset. It was most manifest in horrific, uncharacteristic stuttering in GLQuake. But it was felt everywhere. EAX effects crackled horribly. Frame timings felt horrible, and input felt lagged, even in games that otherwise seemed to have acceptable frame rates.

I had to install the PCI Latency Patch for VIA Chipsets and it worked like a charm. All the weirdness cleared right up. I lead to believe the SBLive is most responsible for the issues, being extremely demanding on the PCI bus in a way that's not entirely in spec. But apparently VIA plays a bit loose and fast with the PCI spec as well. Put the two together and you end up with a bad time. But this fix seemed to have helped at least my problems.

ill give that a try, it says it needs to be reloaded on every reboot so i guess into the startup folder it goes

Reply 3 of 5, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2021-04-27, 16:08:
Namrok wrote on 2021-04-27, 16:01:

ill give that a try, it says it needs to be reloaded on every reboot so i guess into the startup folder it goes

That's him describing how no permanent changes are made. It actually installs as a "driver" which re-implements the changes every time you start windows. Won't need to add anything to your startup folder.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, this cured a problem I was having with my Epox MVP3g-M; while the performance of it was fine, when I would play the demo track for 3D mark 99, 2000 and 2001, the sound would be distorted, though the benchmarks themselves ran fine. It would play DVD movies with no issue. I'd tried different sound cards, but it made no difference - it was just as bad with the SB Live Value as it was with the ISA SB16. But this cured it!

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its snappier for me now with this patch applied, it still lags a bit with large files or when exiting applications but thats more the nature of the K6-3, overall im happier thanks man