VOGONS

First post, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this interesting piece of hardware not too long ago while rummaging through our "to be disposed of" pile while cleaning out or data center. I assume this is an early attempt at implementing solid-state drives in a server environment? Finding information on this particular adapter and brand has proven difficult but I would love to know where this would have been used. The adapter itself fits perfectly in a 3.5" bay so I'll be using this in a future build. The 8MB flash card was not part of the adapter but given to me. Curious to know if anyone else has or has had one of these?

Attachments

Reply 3 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! 😎
I think that's possible because IDE is based on ISA.
Or if being old-school, AT-Bus. Early IDE HDDs were known as AT-Bus drives for a reason.

IDE or ATA (AT Attached) is a sub-set of ISA, so to say.
It includes most fundamental i/o signals, but has a fixed port address,
determined by the host adapter (ISA) - or IDE controller (PCI).

If memory serves, there used to be EPROM programmers that interfaced with ISA through IDE.
Similar like prommers did in the C64 days (they attached directly to user port).

By the way, streamers were similarly odd sometimes.
The cheap 3,5" ones interfaced via high-speed floppy controller cards.
Technically, the controllers were usable for the usual floppy drives, too, if there was some compensation for the oddball i/o address.
A hacked driver.sys or driveparm utility, I suppose.

Edit: There also was similar stuff in the old Pocket PC days..
I remember, there used to be WLAN (aka Wi-Fi) adapters for the CF or SD slot.
By using these, older Win CE devices could be integraded in the then new WEP64/128-based wireless LANs. 😉
Looked a bit like the Gameboy Camera installed in a Gameboy Color.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 12, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-05-03, 05:09:

Appreciate the find. So it appears that this was sold to the general consumer along with a host of other interfaces...interesting. Will be more interesting to see what kind of benchmarks I can squeeze out of this thing once I get it set up.

Reply 5 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is one for sale on eBay right now. (not my sale)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184675613945

I'm not sure how useful it would actually be unless you already have some PCMCIA drives laying around.

After all, you can get IDE to CF and IDE to M.2 adapters for really cheap.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 12, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-04, 06:22:
There is one for sale on eBay right now. (not my sale) https://www.ebay.com/itm/184675613945 […]
Show full quote

There is one for sale on eBay right now. (not my sale)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184675613945

I'm not sure how useful it would actually be unless you already have some PCMCIA drives laying around.

After all, you can get IDE to CF and IDE to M.2 adapters for really cheap.

Pretty useful I would think if not just for the novelty factor if you have a CF to PCMCIA adapter, and there are plenty of them out there on Ebay for a reasonable price. Picked one up myself for under $9 US and free shipping, so they're about the same price as a CF to IDE adapter. I like the idea of having the drive accessible from the front of the machine rather than internally or from the rear like most adapters.

Reply 7 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some high end router and switch used the linear flash cards and this adapter is used to put software on it.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some high end router and switch used the linear flash cards and this adapter is used to put software on it.

I was looking into getting a linear flash card and see if this works with my thinkpad 600.

Cheers,

Reply 9 of 12, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-05, 00:06:

I was looking into getting a linear flash card and see if this works with my thinkpad 600.

Cheers,

It should. I've used that 8MB flash card in my Thinkpad 600E. I believe it sees it as removable storage, but you can't boot from it.

Reply 11 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote on 2021-05-05, 00:07:

Cheers,

It should. I've used that 8MB flash card in my Thinkpad 600E. I believe it sees it as removable storage, but you can't boot from it.

Actually to boot from.

I tried CF cards and PCMCIA adapter card, would not work, not detected. I think the documentation is vague, I think it has to do with type of flash design that needs to be either spinning PCMCIA or linear flash that I did not know about till later. Spinning card kind are rather expensive. Linear flash is cheaper.

Cheers,

Reply 12 of 12, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-05, 00:20:
Actually to boot from. […]
Show full quote
Brickpad wrote on 2021-05-05, 00:07:

Cheers,

Actually to boot from.

I tried CF cards and PCMCIA adapter card, would not work, not detected. I think the documentation is vague, I think it has to do with type of flash design that needs to be either spinning PCMCIA or linear flash that I did not know about till later. Spinning card kind are rather expensive. Linear flash is cheaper.

Cheers,

Are you talking about booting from a CF card inside the PCMCIA adapter? I don't think that's possible as there is no option in the BIOS to boot from the PCMCIA slot, spinning drive or otherwise. You're better off using a CF to 44pin IDE adapter, albeit accessing the IDE slot is rather difficult in the 600 series.