VOGONS

First post, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing with the Vortex86 range of processors from DM&P for nearly 15 years, initially as a proto-raspberrypi running linux, and more recently as an ultra-portable DOS gaming platform. For a currently-manufactured chip it has a number of super useful features for a modern DOS gaming platform like arbitrary CPU clock division, the ability to boot from SD cards, and full access to the ISA bus for soundblaster compatibility. I've used it in a couple of builds, e.g. - Tiny Vortex86-based DOS gaming PC - weeCee

Over the years I've acquired quite a few Vortex86-based SBCs so I thought it would be fun to run them through Phil's dosbench suite. I also took current readings using a Fluke 87III, although that isn't a super fair test because the boards all have slightly different peripherals on them.

Unfortunately, a lot of the results aren't terribly meaningful on faster processors like these, and many also test VGA performance at the same time. Any advice on other benchmarks I could run would be very helpful.

I think Windows 98 should run on all of these boards so if there is more appropriate benchmarking software there then I might try that too. Linux is also very much an option.

Anyway - the boards tested were :

ICOP-6070 -- PC/104 (OG Vortex 86)
VSX-6154-V2 -- PC/104 (Vortex86SX)
Ebox 3350MX -- Thin Client (Vortex86MX)
SOM304RD52VINE1 -- SoM (Vortex86DX)
Ebox 3350DX2 -- Thin Client (Vortex86DX2)
SOM128EX -- SoM (Vortex86EX)

Results are here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rp9cE … bbJ1624uonlebw4

v86bench.png
Filename
v86bench.png
File size
126.05 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Clearly the Vortex86MX is the best because it gets a DOOM score of 1337.

chart.png
Filename
chart.png
File size
39.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's what the various CPU identification outputs looked like :

benchS.jpg
Filename
benchS.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If anyone has any more ideas of tests I could run on these things I'd be very eager to experiment.

Reply 1 of 2, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi rasteri,

Thanks for sharing your work on these interesting Vortex86 SoCs, and your kind offer to perform further tests with them.

I’m the guy who wrote Chkcpu, the little DOS CPU Identification tool. (Hence my handle.)
Because Phil adopted my tool in his Dosbench package, I see it’s been put to good use by the VOGONS community. 😀
Actually, checking the CPU speed and model, and if the FSB and Multiplier jumpers are set correctly, is exactly how I intended Chkcpu to be used when I started writing it back in 1997.

From your benchS.jpg picture I see that Chkcpu does a poor job on the Vortex86, it only gets the Vortex86SX CPU right. So I like to take you up on your offer to perform further tests.
I have been working on a Chkcpu update and attached below is the latest v1.26.7 beta. Could you give it a run on your various Vortex86 machines? Thanks!

Included in the zip-file you’ll find a Chkcpu.txt file with detailed information about the program and the command-line switches it support. The zip also contains a Report.bat file to easily make a detailed report file from the various Chkcpu outputs.
If you could send me the resulting mycpu.txt file, I should have everything I need to improve Chkcpu detection on the Vortex86s. 😉
And of course I will let youall know when Chkcpu v1.27 is ready!

Jan.

Edit: Pulled the Chkcpu v1.26.7 beta attachment. I newer version is now in development.

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2022-02-28, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page