VOGONS

First post, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am totally stuck here...

I cannot get this system to boot from any device I try. The original IBM 344mb drive had a corrupted Win95 install but would at least load and attempt to run, locking up after Windows started with Explorer crashing. Using an 40 to 44 pin adaptor on a desktop Win98 PII, I copied the contents of the Win95 CD to the IBM drive and reinstalled it in the Compaq. Even though I made no changes to the file structure, the system now errors out at boot with "Non-System Disk...".

If I had a working floppy to boot from, none of this would be an issue as I have all the Compaq setup and partition floppies. Problem is, since I've owned it, the floppy disk controller errors out with 601 - and - the floppy drive (Citizen W1D) is mechanically poor. With this new HD issue, I attempted to temporarily hook up an 34 pin floppy with a 26 to 34 pin adapter. However I couldn't get that to work, even rewiring as a Shugart so no doubt the on board controller has issues.

I've since tried another 40 pin drive (Seagate) and several configured, working CF cards. However, all of these setups result in "Disk Controller Error" which is understandable, since the CMOS still has the original IBM drive specs loaded.

But what really baffles me is why the IBM drive now refuses to boot, always erroring with "Non-System Disk...". I've since given up and deleted/created new partitions on it, cleared the MBR and tried numerous MS-DOS versions but still no change.

Does anyone have any other ways that I can try to get around this?

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 2 of 4, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the IBM drive was still booting ok, I had used DriveImage 2002 under Win98 to clone it to the larger Seagate. However, that clone wouldn't boot, resulting in the "controller error" message. Again, probably because the CMOS is setup for the smaller drive.

I think both GHOST and Clonezilla are similar to DriveImage.

Last edited by AndrettiGTO on 2021-05-11, 00:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

W1D will have liquefied rubber belt. Have to source one to get this going.

I have one of this model similar to your and I'm stuck too.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 4, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the belts are an issue but I ended up using an elastic band and it handled the torque well. Problem was with the "601" error, it never gets any head/track movement unless I manually crank it in, then on powerup it moves back to track 0/1.