VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote on 2021-05-13, 14:21:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-13, 06:46:

...always had trouble with the ink drying out, the heads getting clogged, and them having trouble actually picking up the paper...

I bought a (cheap) laser printer because I was too lazy and let the ink dry out.

This. Right here. I remember going through several different printer technologies:

• 9-pin dot matrix: cheap and reliable, cartridges easy and cheap to refill with aftermarket methods, but poor visual quality. Also, you had to wait for the ink to get dry.
  • 24-pin dot matrix: more expensive, but equally reliable, considerably better visual quality, but still not comparable with inkjet and laser tech
  • Inkjet: I've come to utterly despise this technology. 🤮 I never printed often, so cartridges would keep drying up, and those suckers were expensive to replace! Inkjet printers are such a scam, whether you print regularly or not. Also, maybe it's because I mostly used HP Inkjet printers, but they weren't very reliable in my experience. Also, it still required you to be careful with your prints until the ink was dry.
  • Laser/LED: This is the way. ❤️ Fast, high quality output, no risk of smudging anything, because there's no wet ink, and most of all: reliable! Even if you very rarely print something, it's always ready to go. The downside: they're more expensive, especially if you want a color printer.

A word of advice: if you don't need color printing, and you can get your hands on one of those old laser printers that take regular toner powder (like photo copiers do) without requiring any proprietary cartridges, go for it, and hold on to them! Many of those older models have a Centronics interface, so you can hook them up to a parallel port. As for driver support, they probably support PostScript, so you'll also be good on the driver and software support fronts, even with software from the DOS and 3.x era.

I remember recommending my Dad to buy a used 1200dpi laser printer (from a pallet full of those things) at a computer trade fair once for just €30. It turned out to be a golden find. It simply took regular toner, the output quality was top notch and it worked with regular PostScript drivers. Unfortunately, it got damaged during renovation work done at his house, some time later. Some plaster powder must have gotten inside it or something, even though it was covered up with plastic sheets. He bought a color laser printer/copier to replace it.

If you value your money, please don't ever buy inkjet printers. Not in general, and certainly not when you don't print often. I don't care what people tell you about the technology having improved: it's still liquid ink that inevitably dries up sooner or later if you don't use it often. Also, I really see no nostalgic value in older inkjet printers. Older laser printers are a completely different story, on the other hand. But of course that's just my opinion.

As for what I use to print: I still have my trusty Samsung ML-1610 that I bought back in 2004. Perhaps the best €80 I ever spent. For that price, it even came with a half-filled toner cartridge that lasted me for a long time. It doesn't print color, and I don't need it to. I very rarely print something (about once or twice per year, if that). But whenever I need it, it's there for me. I power it up and plug it in, and it works instantly. All common modern OSes support it out of the box. It has a USB interface though, so you'll probably want to look for something older.

Reply 21 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-12, 19:36:
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-12, 19:14:

that is compatible with DOS

You're going to have to be more specific. Unless you want to print plain text (which would kind of defeat the purpose of having a color inkjet), every DOS program had its own printer drivers. A printer compatible with one DOS program might not be compatible with another.

Just get one that can handle printscreen (the keyboard key) output.

Our HP (520, B&W) could do that,

Reply 22 of 27, by ronyket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to everyone.

Just registered in this forum, and my first contribution here.

I used to have a HP Deskjet 840C back in the day. Centronics port and USB port.
Has DOS drivers and works great even in color, and still has new Ink Cartridges avaliable.

I regret that I donated my printer, it was in perfect working condition when I gave it, just needed the ink.

Reply 23 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ronyket wrote on 2021-05-13, 17:07:
Hello to everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hello to everyone.

Just registered in this forum, and my first contribution here.

I used to have a HP Deskjet 840C back in the day. Centronics port and USB port.
Has DOS drivers and works great even in color, and still has new Ink Cartridges avaliable.

I regret that I donated my printer, it was in perfect working condition when I gave it, just needed the ink.

I have one of those.

It's a great little printer if you have good ink cartridges for it.

I got cheap clone cartridges on Amazon and they are terrible.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 24 of 27, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have a local out fit that provides ink for my wifes Epson A3 all-in-one inkjet setup for her craft work and have an older B/W Brother laser printer , I picked up at a charity store with full toner cart for the handsome some of $15 over 7 years ago, for printing patterns for her pyography projects. Both are usb and networked so all our computers\laptops\tablets have access to them.

The color Epson inkjet all-in-one is used so often the carts don't get time to dry out. She uses Ink Post carts which are a lot cheaper than the Epson carts and had not issues at all in the last three years. I get the toner carts for the Brother laser at the same place we get my wifes inkjet carts for.

I can get replacement carts for my older HP inkjets, 520, 400 and a few other from them as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 25 of 27, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that a laser is the way to go, especially of I can move this giant Epson (I bought it for the pizza shop I used to own so that I could print trifold menus with 11x17 paper.) The Epson looks out of place between two retro desks/rigs, and it is on a wheeled cart that matches the faux wood grain of the desks. The original idea was to put a small period correct printer on the P3 desk, though by not doing so, I can have more room for software boxes, external zip drive, the external modem I'm trying to get, and maybe some other things.

If I can find a working color laser from the late 90's that doesn't break the bank, that would be amazing.

Reply 26 of 27, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2021-05-13, 15:26:

If you value your money, please don't ever buy inkjet printers.

Except for Detail Color. Even now, Laser/LED suck in that area, specially consumer level LEDs.
If you have to print photo color previews for something, still nothing beats a proper Inkjet with the Ink with the proper paper in the consumer (read "affordable") market. Ofc the next level is the PRO termic sublimation machines, but for that one you just pay the service in your closest printing center, once you have tuned all the details in your "made at home" previews.

Reply 27 of 27, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-05-14, 13:09:
digger wrote on 2021-05-13, 15:26:

If you value your money, please don't ever buy inkjet printers.

Except for Detail Color. Even now, Laser/LED suck in that area, specially consumer level LEDs.
If you have to print photo color previews for something, still nothing beats a proper Inkjet with the Ink with the proper paper in the consumer (read "affordable") market. Ofc the next level is the PRO termic sublimation machines, but for that one you just pay the service in your closest printing center, once you have tuned all the details in your "made at home" previews.

I would be looking to print 90's quality with anything that I print. For photos, I would use modern printers with my main PC. I will probably rarely print anything - the idea is that I want to be able to, if that makes sense. I mean, I would print stuff randomly for nostalgia or showing my kids how things worked back then, hehehe..