VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

My P2B has a P3 550 installed, though I would like to upgrade it to a P3 1.4Ghz, especially now that I have a 512mb ram stick on the way. I see many slotkets on Ebay, though I don't know which one to get, as I know that many of them do not support the P3 Tualatin. What are the best models of slotkets to look for?

Thanks!
Scythifuge.

Reply 2 of 38, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need a slotket with voltage controls. There are a few of them that can do 1.8v which is close enough. You used to be able to find the MSI MS6905 pretty easily but they are very rare now. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just fine a socket 370 board that is compatible instead.

You can try amibay.org. I have had a lot of success getting rare stuff there (make a wanted post) but I can't tell you how much you might have to pay for it.

Reply 4 of 38, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-13, 18:59:

You need a slotket with voltage controls. There are a few of them that can do 1.8v which is close enough. You used to be able to find the MSI MS6905 pretty easily but they are very rare now. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just fine a socket 370 board that is compatible instead.

You can try amibay.org. I have had a lot of success getting rare stuff there (make a wanted post) but I can't tell you how much you might have to pay for it.

I will probably end up buying a mobo with Tualatin support, or even a mobo/CPU combo with a P3 1.2-1.4Ghz already installed. The issue is finding one with enough PCI and ISA slots. I don't know if you have read some of my other posts, though I am running a Voodoo5, a Voodoo2 (with a slot open for a 2nd one for SLI,) a Voodoo1, a Sound Blaster Live!, an SCC-1, and an AWE32 (though the SCC-1 will be replaced by a NIC when I replace the AWE32 with an AWE64 Legacy as it has intelligent MPU support and I can use an external SC-55 and MT-32.) I would add a modem if I could, though I will buy an external serial modem. The idea of this build is for it to cover everything from 1980-2000 while being the best possible Pentium III/Win98 set up. Luckily there is the SVGA patch for Windows 3.x, as I am installing DOS 7.1 and WFW 3.11.

Reply 5 of 38, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-13, 19:11:

I will probably end up buying a mobo with Tualatin support, or even a mobo/CPU combo with a P3 1.2-1.4Ghz already installed. The issue is finding one with enough PCI and ISA slots. I don't know if you have read some of my other posts, though I am running a Voodoo5, a Voodoo2 (with a slot open for a 2nd one for SLI,) a Voodoo1, a Sound Blaster Live!, an SCC-1, and an AWE32 (though the SCC-1 will be replaced by a NIC when I replace the AWE32 with an AWE64 Legacy as it has intelligent MPU support and I can use an external SC-55 and MT-32.) I would add a modem if I could, though I will buy an external serial modem. The idea of this build is for it to cover everything from 1980-2000 while being the best possible Pentium III/Win98 set up. Luckily there is the SVGA patch for Windows 3.x, as I am installing DOS 7.1 and WFW 3.11.

I am on a similar path to you 😁. I have chosen a VIA C3 nehemiah though over the Tualatin. There are a LOT of speed sensitive dos software. You can get pretty far with setmul, moslo, and throttle and I am curious to see how well you get along.

Note also that most of the slotket adapters still require a pin mod for the CPU. It isn't hard, you just need to connect two wires on the bottom, but from what I have read it won't work as is.

Reply 6 of 38, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only having voltage settings on the slotket isn't necessarily good enough. The MSI MS6905 only supports Coppermine cores with revisions 2.x. A mod is needed for Tualatin core support in any case. *EDIT* I just now read you had already noted that in the next post.*/edit* Also the MSI MS6905 and many other slotkets only set the VID as read by the onboard regulator. If the board doesn't support the voltage that has been set it won't be generated. Asus P2B does not support Coppermine cores (at least with earlier revisions) so the MSI MS6905 won't help even when it's a Tualatin modded rev.2.x.

Intel changed Slot 1/S370 power requirements quite a bit over the years and they surely didn't want their Tualatin processors to become easy/cheap upgrade CPUs so they made it intentionally difficult to use them as such. 😒

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2021-05-13, 20:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 38, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why don't you try and get an ISA backplate to connect all the ISA cards to? Only needs one slot on the mobo but probably a custom case. Still finding a (powered?) ISA backplane and rigging something up to house everything may be easier (and leave you with more PCI slots which you are concerned about as well iirc.) than finding a Powerleap adaptor. Plus your rig is pretty unorthodox as is, why not go all in? 😉

Reply 8 of 38, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-05-13, 19:55:

Only having voltage settings on the slotket isn't necessarily good enough. The MSI MS6905 only supports Coppermine cores with revisions 2.x. A mod is needed for Tualatin core support in any case. Also the MSI MS6905 and many other slotkets only set the VID as read by the onboard regulator. If the board doesn't support the voltage that has been set it won't be generated. Asus P2B does not support Coppermine cores (at least with earlier revisions) so the MSI MS6905 won't help even when it's a Tualatin modded rev.2.x.

Intel changed Slot 1/S370 power requirements quite a bit over the years and they surely didn't want their Tualatin processors to become easy/cheap upgrade CPUs so they made it intentionally difficult to use them as such. 😒

Yes, it is the right combination of all of the above that makes it happen. The MSI slotket adapters can work but everything else has to be a match too.

Reply 9 of 38, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-13, 20:03:

Yes, it is the right combination of all of the above that makes it happen. The MSI slotket adapters can work but everything else has to be a match too.

I noticed you clarified a bit of that already but I edited my post too slowly.🤐
Btw. I agree that today the late Via chips are more attractive on 440bx than Tualatins.😃👌

Reply 10 of 38, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-05-13, 20:15:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-13, 20:03:

I noticed you clarified a bit of that already but I edited my post too slowly.🤐
Btw. I agree that today the late Via chips are more attractive on 440bx than Tualatins.😃👌

I really like it! I understand why people go for the fastest P3, but I couldn't be more pleased with my VIA C3. I have installed a little over 350 DOS games on my computer, spanning all the way from 1981 through to late DOS 1997/1998. The VIA C3 has been great for that. It can get pretty fast too, at least the Nehemiah can because of the improved floating point. At top speed mine performs similarly to a copper mine P3 @ 600mhz.

Reply 11 of 38, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-13, 19:15:

I am on a similar path to you 😁. I have chosen a VIA C3 nehemiah though over the Tualatin. There are a LOT of speed sensitive dos software. You can get pretty far with setmul, moslo, and throttle and I am curious to see how well you get along.

Note also that most of the slotket adapters still require a pin mod for the CPU. It isn't hard, you just need to connect two wires on the bottom, but from what I have read it won't work as is.

I actually bought Moslo Deluxe to try out, and will set it up in a multi-config.sys as I believe it is supposed to emulate CPU speeds better than the free moslo does. I am going to put a 486 together (still waiting for the mobo to arrive from Russia) because I "have to" have one for nostalgia, though I will more than likely use the P3 exclusively, once it is set up properly for every game. I'll probably make a thread about the PC as it currently stands and post pics once I get things set up on the software side. In addition to hunting down some hardware (I made an offer on an external U.S. Robotics serial modem and have other things I am looking for,) I am also pciking and choosing and hunting down software for each OS that will be installed. I'll update that thread when I add or change things, such as getting an AWE64 Legacy. I'm excited about the entire project, as I have a retro desk and everything. It is like being in a time machine when I tinker with this PC, hehehe..

Reply 12 of 38, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-05-13, 20:00:

Why don't you try and get an ISA backplate to connect all the ISA cards to? Only needs one slot on the mobo but probably a custom case. Still finding a (powered?) ISA backplane and rigging something up to house everything may be easier (and leave you with more PCI slots which you are concerned about as well iirc.) than finding a Powerleap adaptor. Plus your rig is pretty unorthodox as is, why not go all in? 😉

I am considering a SBC with a backplane for a future project, simply because having all of those slots is amazing and really adds to the possibilities! Once I get my workshop put back together, I can make a custom case out of wood and paint it beige. Modems, NICs, USB, SATA, IDE Raid... I think I'm going to go for it, hehehe!

Reply 13 of 38, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your P2B supports coppermines then you can modify pretty much any slotket to work with Tualatin.
Just do it properly, most guides are not correct. Use this guide and you are good: http://www.rom.by/articles/S370/_english_index.htm

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 14 of 38, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed, the most important item is the board's VRM, if that supports Coppermine CPUs a Tualatin is safe to use. You will still need to get a modded CPU or socket/slotket and your bios must not be too strict.

Reply 15 of 38, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see the P2B revision listed. That's key here. 1.12 and later support CuMine (some 1.10 supposedly also do, but definitely not all), in that case you just need a modded slocket. If not, you need a slocket with built-in VRM - unobtainium like the PL-IP3/T

So: which is it?

Reply 16 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is relevant.

MS6905 "Master" Slotket Adaptor + Tualatin?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 17 of 38, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This adapter is still being produced and can be used with an ordinary slotket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283583586110

ebay_b.jpg
Filename
ebay_b.jpg
File size
318.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 18 of 38, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mockingbird wrote:
This adapter is still being produced and can be used with an ordinary slotket:
>>
>>
That is not necessarily the case. The majority of slotkets on Ebay etc. are meant to support Mendocino Celerons and do not automatically support Coppermines and/or this adapter.
On that Ebay site it reads:
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
* Slot-1 M/B need a Coppermine compatible slot-1 adaptor.
=> ASUS S370DL, S370-133, SOLTEK SL-02A+, ABIT SLOKET-III, MSI MS-6905
I don't take a guarantee about useing other slot-1 adaptor.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reply 19 of 38, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-13, 18:51:

My P2B has a P3 550 installed, though I would like to upgrade it to a P3 1.4Ghz, especially now that I have a 512mb ram stick on the way.

512mb RAM sticks are not supported on 440BX motherboards. At best they are addressed as 256mb.