VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

My replacement Tomato 4DPS finally arrived today, shipped from Russia (it took approximately 2.5 months from drop off to arrival.) My last one fried, and it may have been to to a mistake I made, given that I don't play around with AT systems as much as I would like.

The wires are blacl-to-black, correct? Also, this adapter has a white part that isn't present on all of these AT/ATX adapters, and one end snapped off. Is is it something to be concerned with, or should I throw it out and order a new adapter?

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the connector is fine (black wires together in the middle).

The white thing is actually a 20 ohm resistor connected to the 3.3V line of your power supply. It's there to put a small load on that line since AT motherboards do not use 3.3V, and some power supplies may not regulate the output voltages properly with an imbalanced load. I don't think it will be a problem with most modern units, but please make sure that the uninsulated part of the leftover wire doesn't touch any exposed metal in the case or components in the motherboard.

Reply 2 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-05-14, 21:45:

Yes, the connector is fine (black wires together in the middle).

The white thing is actually a 20 ohm resistor connected to the 3.3V line of your power supply. It's there to put a small load on that line since AT motherboards do not use 3.3V, and some power supplies may not regulate the output voltages properly with an imbalanced load. I don't think it will be a problem with most modern units, but please make sure that the uninsulated part of the leftover wire doesn't touch any exposed metal in the case or components in the motherboard.

I can put electrical tape on the uninsulated portion, though you think that it will be fine that the one wire broke off of the one end of the resistor? I am afraid to power this up and have this board fry.

Reply 4 of 5, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not having the dummy load not connected wont hurt anything asking as you tape off the two wires. It does kinda suck that it broke during shipping it's a nice touch that some of the cheaper adapters omit to save money.

Reply 5 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-14, 23:46:

Not having the dummy load not connected wont hurt anything asking as you tape off the two wires. It does kinda suck that it broke during shipping it's a nice touch that some of the cheaper adapters omit to save money.

It was attached and it broke of while I was working. The wire is very stiff. I went on ebay and the only ones I saw on there did omit it. I was scared at first, because I couldn't get this mobo to post with a few RAM sticks. It came with 8mb of RAM, but my previous 4DPS had 32mb, though it loaded with the RAM that came with it. The 32mb probably got fried with the last board. I went through a bunch of RAM sticks until I found a 16mb stick that works, and I'll probably stick with it, as I don't foresee a use for 32mb, even in WFW 3.11, though it may help if I put Windows 95 on it. If I do go the Win95 route, maybe I'll grab 64mb off of ebay. I'll have to read the 4DPS manual to see what kind of RAM it supports.