MFM 5.25 floppy with 5ali61

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 49, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-08-23, 15:39:

FYI, if the cable has 5 connectors, 3 34 pin IDC 2 34 pad slot connectors, with one pin connector on one end, and the other four on the other end, where two, one pin, one slot connector are seperated via a twist in the cable from the other two connectors.
The cable is only for two floppy drives.

Awe my dream of having a floppy orchestra is shattered! It makes sense though..

IMG_20210823_185253.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210823_185253.jpg
File size
810.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 41 of 49, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-23, 16:14:
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-28, 21:32:
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-28, 21:15:

Hmm interesting idea. I happen to have an old lightbulb, but my wiring is 50 Hz, and this drive is 360 rpm I believe. (If it matters at all.)

I think incandescent light bulbs are too steady to have much of a strobe effect (the filament doesn't change temperature fast enough). I think some CFL have faster flicker rates than the mains. So it might only work with old fluorescent tubes. I think I was expecting this drive to spin at 300rpm, sheet 10/16 talks about the timing diagram showing a 16 sector 300rpm disk. Also wikipedia lists quad density 5.25" as 300rpm.

Still, find out when it spins.

Cheap LEDs have a bit of flicker, I think they use one string for the pos cycle and another string for the neg cycle though so are 120Hz (In North America, that would be 100 in Europe I guess.)

Naw. Us Swedes have ca 50 Hz.. the railway is 16.7hz though... Nope it does not make sense!

Reply 42 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The LEDs flicker at twice line frequency is what I'm saying because there's a different string of them on in each half cycle.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44 of 49, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Progress! I tried to connect the drive outdoors. Had my daughter filming so it went and it just started spinning waiting for its commands. But the toddler woke up so I have to continue later...

Reply 45 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

depends on the phosphor used on the LED package too, the "warmer" type have a longer persistence phosphor, the bluer type might not use a phosphor or have a shorter persistence one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46 of 49, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ok I managed to get this thing working with all the help I got here. It is now recognized by windows 98. In bios I tried the 3.5" 720kb setting but when I try to format a disk it just sais invalid media or track 0 bad. It might be the disks I'm using cause they are not marked DD.

With my layman's eyes I also think the rpm is a bit uneven.

But at least it tries so the connection seems to work..

Reply 47 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dunno if an oldskool util like this would be any help that supports different format sizes...
http://cd.textfiles.com/microhaus/mhblackbox2 … RUC/MAXI201.ZIP

RPM uneven with something with a belt probably means it's got a shiny spot or a stiffer bit and a softer bit. Possibly if it's wear shine, then turning the belt inside out might help. Or rubbing it lightly on sandpaper.

Reply 48 of 49, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I attempted to measure this using my high speed phone camera. I get the rpm to 457.. this is when the drive is just sitting here and spinning idle..

It is quite stable though.

Reply 49 of 49, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-08-23, 16:54:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-08-23, 15:39:

FYI, if the cable has 5 connectors, 3 34 pin IDC 2 34 pad slot connectors, with one pin connector on one end, and the other four on the other end, where two, one pin, one slot connector are seperated via a twist in the cable from the other two connectors.
The cable is only for two floppy drives.

Awe my dream of having a floppy orchestra is shattered! It makes sense though..

IMG_20210823_185253.jpg

FYI, sometimes there would be a slot connector next to the pin connector that goes on the controller/mainboard, because old controllers could have a slot instead of pins, so that would get you six connectors in total on the cable.
😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port