VOGONS

First post, by JimLahey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was having trouble getting my new HP Vectra QS/16S Intel 386 booting up and getting into some sort of BIOS. I finally found the right SETUP file/disk to get into BIOS settings. ( file 38188.exe from hpe.com)

I am having trouble getting both the A: 3.5" 1.2mb drive and B: 5.25" 1.2mb drive working at same time. In the BIOS I have drive A: set as 3-1/2" 1.2mb flexible drive, and B: set as 5.25" 1.2mb drive.
Drive A: is at the end of the ribbon cable, drive B: is second to the end(drive a). If both are hooked up, they both light up and try to seek but disks won't work in either. If I have one or the other detached from ribbon cable they will work independently. Drive a: the end of ribbon cable does not have and jumpers (ie terminate, etc). Drive b: Panasonic JU-475-3EAF has all the jumpers. The a: 3.12" drive is Sony from Ebay. I know both drives work. I havent been able to find exact jumper layout diagram on the internet. I tried removing terminate jumper and changing drive # jumper. I also see a MDA, MDB jumpers. not sure what they do? Any thoughts on what is an issue to get both of these drives working together?

I am also trying to get a d: compact flash (1gb) IDE cable drive working in BIOS, but Vectra BIOS makes you pick HP drive types from a list.

couple images of jumpers:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufp2ycmb1gvgw3w/AA … K8breHrBla?dl=0

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the cable a straight cable or does it have a twist at the end ? With twist cables both floppy drives are set as ID1 (DS2) in jumpers, the drive after the twist is A: drive. If straight cable one floppy should be ID0 (DS1) and the other to ID1 (DS2), ID0 is A: drive.
I can barely read the jumpers on B in your pictures. Also: new 3.5" 1.44mb floppy drives typically have no jumpers, they are internally set to ID1
edit: fixed my boo-boo

Last edited by Horun on 2021-05-17, 23:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JimLahey wrote on 2021-05-17, 21:36:
I was having trouble getting my new HP Vectra QS/16S Intel 386 booting up and getting into some sort of BIOS. I finally found th […]
Show full quote

I was having trouble getting my new HP Vectra QS/16S Intel 386 booting up and getting into some sort of BIOS. I finally found the right SETUP file/disk to get into BIOS settings. ( file 38188.exe from hpe.com)

I am having trouble getting both the A: 3.5" 1.2mb drive and B: 5.25" 1.2mb drive working at same time. In the BIOS I have drive A: set as 3-1/2" 1.2mb flexible drive, and B: set as 5.25" 1.2mb drive.
Drive A: is at the end of the ribbon cable, drive B: is second to the end(drive a). If both are hooked up, they both light up and try to seek but disks won't work in either. If I have one or the other detached from ribbon cable they will work independently. Drive a: the end of ribbon cable does not have and jumpers (ie terminate, etc). Drive b: Panasonic JU-475-3EAF has all the jumpers. The a: 3.12" drive is Sony from Ebay. I know both drives work. I havent been able to find exact jumper layout diagram on the internet. I tried removing terminate jumper and changing drive # jumper. I also see a MDA, MDB jumpers. not sure what they do? Any thoughts on what is an issue to get both of these drives working together?

I am also trying to get a d: compact flash (1gb) IDE cable drive working in BIOS, but Vectra BIOS makes you pick HP drive types from a list.

Any ideas?

So I found this https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Panasonic525 … .837316958/html which gives some jumper descriptions.

With the jumper settings you had at the start, what happens if you put the 5.25" drive at the end of the cable on its own (so that it's a:)?

[possible slight addition to Horun's post, I think just setting the drive ID might also mean changing the MS/MM jumper so that the motor runs on drive select and not motor run. But I frequently get confused trying to keep in mind the differences between Shugart (4 drive selects and 1 motor run) and the PC twisted cable (2 drive selects, 2 motor runs that get flipped round)]

Reply 4 of 9, by JimLahey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-17, 23:46:
So I found this https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Panasonic525 … .837316958/html which gives some jumper descriptions. […]
Show full quote
I was having trouble getting my new HP Vectra QS/16S Intel 386 booting up and getting into some sort of BIOS. I finally found th […]
Show full quote

Any ideas?

So I found this https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Panasonic525 … .837316958/html which gives some jumper descriptions.

With the jumper settings you had at the start, what happens if you put the 5.25" drive at the end of the cable on its own (so that it's a:)?

[possible slight addition to Horun's post, I think just setting the drive ID might also mean changing the MS/MM jumper so that the motor runs on drive select and not motor run. But I frequently get confused trying to keep in mind the differences between Shugart (4 drive selects and 1 motor run) and the PC twisted cable (2 drive selects, 2 motor runs that get flipped round)]

I do see it around pages 3-13 and 3-14. I feel like I've seen this page already but it must have been another one in my search or didn't see this one.

Thanks. I still need to figure out just where they need to be set.

Reply 5 of 9, by JimLahey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-17, 23:46:
So I found this https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Panasonic525 … .837316958/html which gives some jumper descriptions. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Any ideas?

The connectors are different, 5.25 has to go in card style connector and 3.5 has to go in ide type connector both with red to #1 .

Reply 6 of 9, by JimLahey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-05-17, 23:32:

Is the cable a straight cable or does it have a twist at the end ? With twist cables both floppy drives are set as ID1 (DS2) in jumpers, the drive after the twist is A: drive. If straight cable one floppy should be ID0 (DS1) and the other to ID1 (DS2), ID0 is A: drive.
I can barely read the jumpers on B in your pictures. Also: new 3.5" 1.44mb floppy drives typically have no jumpers, they are internally set to ID1
edit: fixed my boo-boo

The cable has twist at end for 3.5" drive. Can you comment on DS, drive select jumpers for 5.25" drive. If it's b: drive but first on ribbon cable, I have it selected in bios as drive 2 and setup as 5.25" 1.2mb drive, do I set ds jumper as drive 1 or drive 2? Snufkin gave a good post about of reference for jumpers.

Does drive 1 refer to whichever drive a: drive or first drive on ribbon cable?

Thanks for the assistance.

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JimLahey wrote on 2021-05-18, 02:05:

The cable has twist at end for 3.5" drive. Can you comment on DS, drive select jumpers for 5.25" drive. If it's b: drive but first on ribbon cable, I have it selected in bios as drive 2 and setup as 5.25" 1.2mb drive, do I set ds jumper as drive 1 or drive 2? Snufkin gave a good post about of reference for jumpers.

Does drive 1 refer to whichever drive a: drive or first drive on ribbon cable?

Thanks for the assistance.

Ok it is a bit more complicated to explain and sorry if I made it more that way so will try to keep it more simple.
According to your new pictures (I attached a cropped one below) you have the 5.25" set as DS1 which would be seen as Drive A on a straight cable. Because the twist in the cable to the 3.5" floppy it also is seen as Drive A.
You need to change the 5.25" jumpers to DS2 so it becomes Drive B, and the 3.5" will still be Drive A.
In the BIOS set A: as the 3.5" and B as the 5.25", also turn on "floppy seek" if it is in the BIOS, that way you can see it scan each drive before booting.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 9, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally found the right SETUP file/disk to get into BIOS settings. ( file 38188.exe from hpe.com)

If someone else is looking for this, i uploaded the correct floppies/files here:
https://archive.org/details/hp-vectra-qs-setu … .-setup-b.06.01

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging