VOGONS

First post, by caver99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im looking at building a retro dos/win98 gaming pc what would you guys recommend P1, P2 or P3?
im looking for isa sound and pci for voodoo 1/2 with either agp/pci or isa graphics

Reply 1 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
caver99 wrote on 2021-05-19, 14:57:

im looking at building a retro dos/win98 gaming pc what would you guys recommend P1, P2 or P3?
im looking for isa sound and pci for voodoo 1/2 with either agp/pci or isa graphics

It all depends on which games you want to play.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 6, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My recommendation is to get the cheapest possible system you can, maybe a local old pc for 10 euro/dollar. See how you find yourself using it, what you think you're missing on, and then you can decide what you want. This is my advice for anyone who doesn't know where to start 😀 good luck

Reply 4 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
caver99 wrote on 2021-05-25, 07:43:

i ended up getting a Pentium p200mmx system, soundblaster 16 isa and a 8mb voodoo 2 3dfx card for both dos and widows 98 gaming

pretty good set up for most DOS games and also will give you good experience on most windows games of the 90's too, enjoy 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
caver99 wrote on 2021-05-25, 07:43:

i ended up getting a Pentium p200mmx system, soundblaster 16 isa and a 8mb voodoo 2 3dfx card for both dos and widows 98 gaming

That will easily play up to and including 1997 games. It will start to look long in the tooth with 1998 games though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 6, by caver99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i also have a p4 system that has full 98 setup for the later games with win98 and xp, so this is mainly for the early games and windows 98 once i can find out if my voodoo 2 is working of knackered as it refuses to work with any 3dfx games ahh
only just got it and was £100