VOGONS

First post, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got that card recently and to test it I put it into P200MMX with Win98SE. Windows detected it, copied drivers, but complained on every boot that the HW isn't working properly. I've decided to try and change the card settings (port and IRQ) on that machine, even though the buggy 3C5X9CFG.EXE program kept saying the port is already taken. But it said that for all the addresses I've tried so I figured that maybe it's just broken that way. Well, it froze during saving the settings to the card... and after that said the card is not configured at all.

Long story short I got the settings back on different mobo running DOS 6.2, but now 3C5X9CFG.EXE is acting up, doesn't show me the option for auto-selecting the interface, and doesn't properly show PnP and full duplex settings until I mess around with the interface type. And it's saying the card is 3C509 (without the B), but now I'm not 100% sure if it said 3C509B before or not. Also, testing procedure fails on EEPROM and FIFO - but the card does work in DOS. The MAC is correct, packet driver loads, and MTCP package has no issues running DHCP and FTP client.

I wrote a tiny program to dump the EEPROM and sure enough it seems the checksum for the so-called static part of data is wrong. I want to be able to use this card in Win3.11 so I bet I need to sort it out or else it will fail just as Win98 does. I'm not sure now if the problem was already there, or did I make it worse, point is it needs fixing and actually looks like it can be done.

So - I need another EEPROM dump to compare with mine, form a working card. Preferably a few more to see if I can transplant more than just my MAC. I'm attaching the app that will dump the data to a file called E3C509X.BIN - best to run it from pure DOS and with no network drivers loaded. Should be able to detect cards set to PnP mode as well.

I need the B-model (3C509B) but it should also work with non-B and C ones, you can try and if it works you'll have a backup. I'm looking for the -COMBO cards (RJ54+AUI+BNC), but -TP would also be of some use. If you can, attach a screenshot of the 3C5X9CFG information window (F8 key), that might help me decode what is stored where and do a smart edit rather than just copy-paste with modified MAC.

Attachments

• Filename
    E3C509X.zip
    File size
    10.27 KiB
    Downloads
    179 downloads
    File comment
    EEPROM dumper
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

E3C509X.1

Filename
E3C509X.1.zip
File size
289 Bytes
Downloads
154 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_1878.jpeg
Filename
IMG_1878.jpeg
File size
538.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
tp.jpg
Filename
tp.jpg
File size
68.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sourced from a 3C509B-TPC (RJ45/BNC)

=============================

E3C509X.2

Filename
E3C509X.2.zip
File size
289 Bytes
Downloads
158 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20210119094409.jpg
Filename
IMG20210119094409.jpg
File size
508.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sourced from a 3C509B-C (RJ45/BNC/AUI)

Hope that helps!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and the configuration for the 3C509B-C:

c.jpg
Filename
c.jpg
File size
65.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
c-info.jpg
Filename
c-info.jpg
File size
64.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and finally, the info screen for the 3C509B-TP:

tp-info.jpg
Filename
tp-info.jpg
File size
64.74 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 4 of 17, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh it sure does, the second card is a -C(OMBO) identical to mine. This dump alone should get me what I need, but with the screenshots I can now try to figure out where exactly my data is glitched. Many thanks!

Reply 5 of 17, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The good news: The idea was good, and my program works, I was able to write the modified image back to EEPROM. The card is now recognized as 3C905B-Combo and all the HW tests pass, including FIFO.
The bad news: It seems in the extended data chunk there is yet another checksum because the EEPROM Vital Data Test still fails, this is the only thing left to fix. I might have to disassemble the diagnostic program to figure this one out, but I'm close.

Reply 7 of 17, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems I got the card error-free by changing it's config to full duplex. During saving 3Com configuration program clears the last 16 bytes of the EEPROM image, and modifies a few more, but now all checksums are finally correct - and the card is still a 509B model with my MAC and manufacturing date. I don't know what is stored in those bytes and I can't figure out that checksum thing so for now that's as good as it gets. I could use a few more images from different cards but it's already kinda solved so it goes on the back burner for now.
The config program itself is huge and uses overlays, I'd have to debug it on a running system with the NIC installed. I don't have the time for such adventures at the moment. I might be able to install Win3.11 and test it over the weekend, and if it works then I don't really need anything more.

Reply 8 of 17, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Linux to the rescue! I have another busted 3Com card, a PCI 905B series (this one mysteriously stopped working years ago), so I figured I might try to tackle that problem too. I peeked into Linux driver sources and found some EEPROM checksum calculation, decided to try that method on my images. I'm not very good with Python so it took a few hours but now I know how checksum works and where it stored. Then I realized that my card has no BOOT ROM enabled - and sure enough that option makes the config program populate the last 16 bytes. I now have the tools to rebuild the entire EEPROM image from zero, with correct MAC from sticker, if for example the chip died and had to be replaced with a new one.

And last thing, neither 386DX nor 486DLC at 40MHz seem able to saturate the 10Mb link under DOS, best I can do is half of that. There also doesn't seem to be much of a difference between DOS and Windows setting, but perhaps this is more evident for smaller packets or different use case than FTP. Well, it's weekend so I guess I'm installing Win 3.11 next...

EDIT: I think I can call that a success.

Netscape 3.0.jpg
Filename
Netscape 3.0.jpg
File size
135.07 KiB
Views
File comment
Netscape 3.0 on Win 3.11
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In case someone finds this useful:
- Trident 8900 series drivers for Win 3.1 are... lacking. Not in amount, there's plenty of versions, but rather in quality. I got some working eventually by using the Windows setup directly rather than driver installer.
- TVGA8900D has RAMDAC with 15/16-bit color support, while 8900C does not, or it doesn't work with the driver I've picked.
- Win 3.11 driver for 3C509 cards doesn't like SVGA or Trident drivers, causes weird screen corruption. Fixed by installing newer 3C509 driver. There were no problems in pure VGA 640x480 though.
- My system seems somewhat unstable in Windows, I had to set ISA bus to 1WS to prevent random hangs - no idea if it's the network or multi I/O card causing this.
- Netscape 3 is pretty much unusable now, rarely any site still supports pure HTTP without SSL and JS is best turned off as it just keeps throwing errors. Obviously no CSS support (and no UTF on Win 3.x).

Reply 9 of 17, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Deunan, I hope you can help me!

I had my 3Com Etherlink III 3C509B-TPO working perfectly fine with these settings:

1.jpeg
Filename
1.jpeg
File size
392.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Today I couldn't get an IP address from my router and when I ran 3C5X9CFG.EXE I got this:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The peculiar thing is that when you press "Transreceiver Type" a couple of times, you get these settings:

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.78 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Test fails at "FIFO Built-in Self-test":

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Picture of the card:

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Dump of the EEPROM:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m32dxgbnu364s0/E3C … 9X_BIN.zip?dl=0

Reply 10 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a bug in 3C5X9CFG if the card does not support plug and play or full duplex. Toggling the transceiver type will cause those fields to appear but they have no affect.

In your case, since the fields did originally appear before your issue, I would suspect a hardware failure on the card itself.

Reply 11 of 17, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-23, 13:05:

There is a bug in 3C5X9CFG if the card does not support plug and play or full duplex. Toggling the transceiver type will cause those fields to appear but they have no affect.

In your case, since the fields did originally appear before your issue, I would suspect a hardware failure on the card itself.

Well that would suck.

When I ran PNPDSABL.BAT I got this:

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Does this mean that the card is running in EISA mode? If it is, then maybe I need to try this Re: ISA 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPO Repeatedly fails self test, "Vital EEPROM," error.?

I apologize for the poor quality photos I'm using my wife's old OnePlus 2 until my new phone arrives 😁

Last edited by Xupack on 2022-07-23, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last edited by Grzyb on 2022-07-27, 22:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 13 of 17, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2021-05-21, 14:46:

Linux to the rescue! I have another busted 3Com card, a PCI 905B series (this one mysteriously stopped working years ago), so I figured I might try to tackle that problem too. I peeked into Linux driver sources and found some EEPROM checksum calculation, decided to try that method on my images. I'm not very good with Python so it took a few hours but now I know how checksum works and where it stored. Then I realized that my card has no BOOT ROM enabled - and sure enough that option makes the config program populate the last 16 bytes. I now have the tools to rebuild the entire EEPROM image from zero, with correct MAC from sticker, if for example the chip died and had to be replaced with a new one.

And last thing, neither 386DX nor 486DLC at 40MHz seem able to saturate the 10Mb link under DOS, best I can do is half of that. There also doesn't seem to be much of a difference between DOS and Windows setting, but perhaps this is more evident for smaller packets or different use case than FTP. Well, it's weekend so I guess I'm installing Win 3.11 next...

EDIT: I think I can call that a success.

Good stuff!

Reply 14 of 17, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, after a couple of days fiddling around, I came to the conclusion that the card is probably failing as mentioned earlier, because it can't pass the tests and I cant see PnP and Full Duplex settings anymore. It gets an IP address though, so I'm going to keep using it. I compiled 3C3 and 3C5XSETUP in the Virtualbox using Knoppix V6.0.1 because my 486 couldn't compile them and then ran them on 486. I will attach them below.

Link to the KNOPPIX used: KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso

P.S. Can the date be correct? 😁

7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Attachments

Last edited by Xupack on 2022-07-28, 05:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2022-07-23, 22:21:
3C509 cards have nothing to do with EISA. They can work in two modes: - ISA, where addresses and IRQ are set by 3C5X9CFG.EXE - I […]
Show full quote
Xupack wrote on 2022-07-23, 22:04:

Does this mean that the card is running in EISA mode?

3C509 cards have nothing to do with EISA.
They can work in two modes:
- ISA, where addresses and IRQ are set by 3C5X9CFG.EXE
- ISAPNP, where addresses and IRQ are set by BIOS or OS, or possibly by some generic ISAPNP utility like ICU

Not true. The cards have an ISA interface, but *do* have an EISA mode, and are notorious for not working properly in ISA systems if set to EISA mode. To recover, you either need an ISA system or you need to short a factory configuration test point at startup.

However I don't think that's the issue here, as EISA mode would be indicated by 3c5x9cfg.exe with the following message:

Error! - There are one or more Etherlink III ISA (3C509) NICs configured to EISA mode and installed in an ISA slot. Remove these NICs, place them in an EISA slot on an EISA computer, and configure them for ISA operation.

Reply 16 of 17, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my favorite ISA Network card. Never had any problems.
Just run the 3c0m 3c509 auto configuration tool.
And select your preferred interface type
You have to do this on each computer.
You can’t configure it on one computer and then plug it into another computer and expect it to work.
Because you could have IRQ or resource conflicts.
Also you might want to run Microsoft diagnostic tool “MSD” to find what resources are available and used.

You could also try the “Intel Pro 10” card. I hear that one is easy to setup too.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-07-28, 01:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-07-27, 09:38:

The cards have an ISA interface, but *do* have an EISA mode

Oops, you're right.
I'm wondering, what's the idea behing the EISA mode in ISA card? To allow it to be configured with EISA Config Utility?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...