VOGONS

Reply 20 of 55, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I had 3(three!) Vodoo 5500 cards 'somewhere', but during a period of 7(seven) years time, I could not find them, nomatter where I looked.

Then suddenly, after randomly moving a box of something else, in a totally unrelated search, THERE they were..... gah....
(sad thing is, I had been living in the same place all these years... and there are still other parts 'missing', like my P.I.Engineering keyboard splitter 🤔)

Reply 21 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just found my keyboard splitter I needed to fire up my iOpener plugged into my iOpener, doh.

Recently, I'm looking for the M571, because I've got a cool idea for it, but what turns up is an M537, M717, M748 twins, and an M810. ... srsly PCChips, got jokes huh?... oh and another scrawled historic inventory showing a bunch of 486 boards and a 386 I can't remember crap about.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 55, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same here, I thought I have not have those when I went on ebay looking at watch movements to play with, ended up having some that I already have in my drawers.

So I ended up planning to get parts for them to fix up that back in the day, I could not get the parts but now I can these days thanks to Ebay.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23 of 55, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lost a GF 4200 and 4600 card back decade ago but know where the GF2, GF3, GF6x00's, GF7800 AGP are. A good friend returned my GF5900 AGP lately while cleaning out his garage recently.
Still cannot remember what happened to the GF4's or where they could be. Maybe lost in the move or were given away before. Hate Old-timers memory issues ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 24 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mounted another expedition to hunt out the M571, this jungle was relatively devoid of interesting wildlife, only scored an external SCSI box, a parallel printer server/LAN adapter, and the first wild AT supply turned up.... and it's the one that got nuked with a can of black tarry bitumen rubber type sealant, I kinda wiped the worst off and wrapped it up in a bag.... 8 years later it's actually dry, well, as long as you don't press too hard. Whatevs, it shall be forced to do my bidding on the bench of testing. Wondering if I can abuse the LAN adapter, probably not much, be like writing a par port driver for it from scratch... should just stick a hacked up covox type thing onto it and hide it in the attic, so I can play ghost noises over the network.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 55, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am going through my stash of laptops so I can get rid of the ones I really don't need/want.

Found the Dell Precision M60 that has a Quadro FX go 1000 (basically a lower clocked GeForce FX 5700) , Pentium M 2.0Ghz and a 1920x1200 screen. Completely forgot I had bought it. It was purchased to be a Windows 98SE gaming laptop and then got stashed away when I was busy with other stuff.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 55, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...there's this case....it was on a GEM Computer Products 386 clone I had (that I stupidly hacked up into a Pentium III version of itself). Luckily I took all the measurements and could probably reproduce it on my own if I Wanted to. Have yet to find another computer, GEM or otherwise, that had this case. The closest match is the actual Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386 chassis, which was made by Parkview Metals.

fetch?photoid=1199427

Then there's the AT&T Safari 3151 Laptop - which is pretty much the same as a Globalyst 200 DX2/50 or a Samsung Notemaster 486p. Seems the majority of the 486 DX2 laptops made in this design were sold as Globalyst 200's. This is what lead me to the Versa laptops because the higher end AT&T laptops were rebadged NEC's, and I seem to keep kicking those up on E-bay every few months at least 3 at a time....my old one MIGHT be hiding in my childhood home but I'm not exactly sure if it's still there or not.

fetch?photoid=1196106

Then the IBM PC-330 100DX4 (6571-W5K) - THIS is to me...the best, ultimate 486 DX4 OEM system ever made. The BUS can be swapped from VLB to PCI with a new riser and a flick of 2 jumpers. This thing ran stuff that asked for a Pentium II decently enough to be enjoyable somehow. However, I've never seen another 100DX4, just DX2/66 models, or later Pentium models.

fetch?photoid=1196116

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 27 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's speculation that the late DX4-100s had some special sauce, they appear in some benchies to show a better IPC than DX2s and seem to hang close to AMD 120s. Some say pentium instructions were added. I could imagine a well sorted late DX4 machine could seem like a tank, a slow tank, but just keep plowing through stuff you'd normally think a faster machine would suit.

Reply 28 of 55, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-03, 23:12:

There's speculation that the late DX4-100s had some special sauce, they appear in some benchies to show a better IPC than DX2s and seem to hang close to AMD 120s. Some say pentium instructions were added. I could imagine a well sorted late DX4 machine could seem like a tank, a slow tank, but just keep plowing through stuff you'd normally think a faster machine would suit.

I can believe it. That DX4 IBM was insane. I ran Diablo on it - through Battle.net, no lag. Also ran Ultima VI Online on it a few times (old MMORPG version of Ultima VI a fan made). It even ran very early Mozilla Firefox for awhile in the mid 2000's when it was my backup machine.

My current DX4 Desktop has an AMD Am486 DX4 SV8 in it, and It feels a little slower, though I think the PTI-255W might have the IBM's HDD controller beat though, and the video card is faster (2MB S3 vs 1MB Cirrus). But I also might not be remembering as well since that was over 10 years ago when I had the IBM. The NEC Versa M/75 I have comes really close though HDD is a little slower I think.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 29 of 55, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2021-06-03, 22:59:
Well...there's this case....it was on a GEM Computer Products 386 clone I had (that I stupidly hacked up into a Pentium III vers […]
Show full quote

Well...there's this case....it was on a GEM Computer Products 386 clone I had (that I stupidly hacked up into a Pentium III version of itself). Luckily I took all the measurements and could probably reproduce it on my own if I Wanted to. Have yet to find another computer, GEM or otherwise, that had this case. The closest match is the actual Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386 chassis, which was made by Parkview Metals.

fetch?photoid=1199427

Then there's the AT&T Safari 3151 Laptop - which is pretty much the same as a Globalyst 200 DX2/50 or a Samsung Notemaster 486p. Seems the majority of the 486 DX2 laptops made in this design were sold as Globalyst 200's. This is what lead me to the Versa laptops because the higher end AT&T laptops were rebadged NEC's, and I seem to keep kicking those up on E-bay every few months at least 3 at a time....my old one MIGHT be hiding in my childhood home but I'm not exactly sure if it's still there or not.

fetch?photoid=1196106

Then the IBM PC-330 100DX4 (6571-W5K) - THIS is to me...the best, ultimate 486 DX4 OEM system ever made. The BUS can be swapped from VLB to PCI with a new riser and a flick of 2 jumpers. This thing ran stuff that asked for a Pentium II decently enough to be enjoyable somehow. However, I've never seen another 100DX4, just DX2/66 models, or later Pentium models.

fetch?photoid=1196116

Just wanted to let you know that your pictures aren't loading.

Reply 30 of 55, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I lost a Commodore 64. Could have sworn I saw it somewhere in my house, but I spent hours searching and found nothing. I have vague memories of a C64 with a black screen, so possibly it was the same one and I must have stupidly just binned it, rather than trying to fix it.

Last year I did find an AGP Voodoo 3 graphics card that I thought was long gone, it was stored with a Socket 7 motherboard that didn't even have AGP. No idea how it ended up there!

Reply 31 of 55, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this counts as hardware, but 2 months ago I had two 5 metre tape rulers. A few days I go I wanted to measure up for shelves for the cupboard I store cases in. Can I find the tape rulers? Can I heck! I put one somewhere safe 2 months ago, and measured some boxes for shipping with the other. No darned idea where I put either of them 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 32 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, yeah the good big tape measures are always wandering off on me. Sometimes I think there must be one built into every kitchen unit and closet I've ever worked on in the house 🤣 ... of course, the easiest one to find on any given day is the crappy 2m/6ft small one that has a bust spring so you have to feed it back in by hand... I keep TRYING to lose that bugger, but naturally, since it's the only one that seems to be available 24/7 I think I'd be completely tape measuren't.

.... .... ....

And now the Voodoo3 situation here is getting puzzling, I wasn't needing one for anything I'm doing "soon" so I wasn't worrying about it... until it occurred to me that I should have come across them by now. In theory, I had my purchased new V3 PCI, then later I bought used V3 AGPs when they turned up, 2 of them... I recall putting those away in the increasingly improbable sounding "somewhere safe". But thought that was only their own box in the upstairs computer area. What is around is a V3 PCI, that doesn't look like my original, and I think I grabbed it at a yard sale subsequent to stashing the others somewhere. Anyhoo, so that's another thing getting metaphorically printed on the metaphorical milk cartons in my head (A missing persons thing in North America). I have a vague idea that maybe that's where that Monster 3D V2 ended up, chillin' with the V3s.

Reply 33 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just "discovered" although hiding in plain sight, I moved it out of the way a half dozen times in the great M571 hunt, is a Shuttle AV11 Apollo Pro socket 370 board. For some reason it's existence was slipping off my brain like water off a duck's back. Now it became relevant because I have a bunch of socket adapters and 3 more s370 CPUs roll in, though I had 5 CPU I could have considered it for previously, so I don't know why I was just flat out ignoring it. Looks like it needs caps though, as does my other Apollo board a DFI CA64, which by all accounts is a bit of a slow turd. Not much info around about the AV11 though, so don't know if that's going to be just as bad since it was utterly forgettable it seems. Usefully it appears to support mendocino and coppermines, so if it's running sweet after a recap, I can verify operation of a small pile of CPUs.... then it gets either the powerleap or lin-lin Tualatin adapter on it for some Tualeron action.

Also strangely blindspotted, was an Asus P5A-B which I hope will run a K6-2 nice.

M571 and the Voodoos still seem to be vacationing on the island of lost toys.... they also might have a SiS Xabre with them, since I recall having one of those, but it's not "around" at present.

Reply 34 of 55, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When shelf in my closet collapsed then had to empty closet out and sort my stuff and put them away in different parts of apartment, awaiting apt people to build new shelf. During that surprised to find the motherboard by Asus 386DX capable of doing 256K cache motherboard that must had forgotten about, I knew I have SiS chipset generic motherboard with cache.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 35 of 55, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-24, 04:04:

Hmmm there's definitely some stuff that hasn't seen light of day between move #1 and now... I recall playing around with a PODP, possibly it was a 63Mhz one, I was not very impressed with IIRC, however, that could have been frustrated with it. It came to me without the fan module, so I was trying to rig it with another small fan. Must have been running 1x though according to what I've read since. What sticks in my mind though is it's the only CPU/Sink I've actually burned my fingers on.. not quite enough to blister, but to leave a red mark sore for a couple of days. I mean, others, yeah, ow that's hot, but not sizzle cooked flesh hot. Thinking it through, I had most of my parts stored in a large desk and bottom dresser drawer then. I wonder if I've been ignoring a box marked desk or dresser.

Then what turns up today, but a PODP heatsink that I didn't know I had, with a fan installed in it! Box of heatsinks I got for parts and spares some long while back when I wanted custom sinks on all my RAM and chipsets, didn't really mentally catalog them. I was in there because there was a bunch of other internal bits in with them, wanted a loose speaker, but suddenly "What? No!" but sure was, some mad lad bust it off the POD. That box came in a good 5 years after I was messing with the PODP with no fan. So either the fates are teasing the heck out of me or it bodes well for, at some point in the far future, getting that PODP running if it ever turns up.... and I don't forget about the spare fan. Note to self, there's a slot 1 sink in there too for when your dumb ass remembers where the loose PII 233s are.

The xabre made an appearance again, I shall interrogate it to make it tell where the voodoos went.

Reply 36 of 55, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I've been looking for two years now was my old PC case. I had so many wonderful memories with it! It was an AT case with a power button that looked like a golf ball. Sadly, my parents gave it away to some relatives, and then it found its way to the street according to the last owner u.u

Reply 39 of 55, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the 2000s I had an AWE32 CT3990 in my Compaq Presario. I still have no idea were that card went. I can't remember even taking it out of the machine (this was before I knew the onboard ESS card had excellent SB Pro support), so when I got into retrogaming again in around 2012 it was a huge surprise it wasn't there anymore.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes