VOGONS

First post, by unix_junkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

So I decided to upgrade my ultimate Solaris 8 build, pulled a 500 MHz Celeron out of the motherboard and plugged a 1000 MHz Pentium III instead.

The motherboard is a VIA Apollo Pro based ECS P6VAP-A+ with the latest BIOS (AWARD 6.00PG, version 1.5b).

The new CPU is a Socket 370 SL5QJ Coppermine-T 1000 with a 133 MHz FSB speed, which should be compatible with my motherboard.

Once I clear CMOS and power the PC on, it beeps once (everything's fine) and shows the POST message which appears to be ok:

ECS-P6VAP-A+-SL5QJ-Coppermine-1000.jpg
Filename
ECS-P6VAP-A+-SL5QJ-Coppermine-1000.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Once I enter the SETUP and try to change and save anything, the system wouldn't boot the next time, so I have to keep clearing CMOS on, and on, and on... There're no diagnostic beeps from the PC speaker, nor is there any video output. The CPU temperature, as reported by BIOS, is circa 28 °C/82.4 °F and stays at this level, which is perfectly fine.

• If I load the fail-safe defaults, the system wouldn't boot.
  • If I load optimized defaults, the system wouldn't boot.
  • If I pull out all the periphery (even disks) except for the video card, the system wouldn't boot, either.
  • If I plug the video card into another PCI slot, nothing changes (I tried all 4 PCI slots).
  • Finally, if I pull out even the video card and reboot, the system issues 1 log beep and 2 short ones, meaning a video subsystem error, which seems normal.

Is there anything I forgot to try before I start searching for another (probably, older) Pentium III CPU?

Reply 1 of 8, by unix_junkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently, the memory modules were to be blamed (they're PC-100, not PC-133).

Once I've set DRAM clock to 100 MHz, everything seems back to normal:

IMG_20210524_013724.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210524_013724.jpg
File size
966.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20210524_013707.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210524_013707.jpg
File size
987.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Or so I thought...

The next day, setting DRAM clock to 100 MHz has no effect, the system freezing even before POST.

Reply 2 of 8, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coppermine-T is slightly different from usual Coppermine. I've never know it before your post 😀
So a PCI debug card (POST card) would be handy when the system stopped booting.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 3 of 8, by unix_junkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your response, Roman.

After some consideration, I can't but come to a conclusion there's indeed something wrong with the 133 MHz FSB and PC-133 memory modules which are marked as such but are not PC-133 capable.

So now I'm ordering a 100 MHz FSB CPU and some extra PC-133 DIMM modules (Kingston or Hynix), since those I have currently are nonames.

Reply 4 of 8, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also try to run the cpu/ram at fsb 100 right now.
On page 1o in the manual you can find the setting for fsb 66 and 100 via jumper JP9 & JP10,
and on page 11 you can find jumper JP15 settings for automatic or manual selection.

Reply 5 of 8, by unix_junkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2021-05-24, 15:03:

You could also try to run the cpu/ram at fsb 100 right now.
On page 1o in the manual you can find the setting for fsb 66 and 100 via jumper JP9 & JP10,
and on page 11 you can find jumper JP15 settings for automatic or manual selection.

Thank you.

I've actually tried a bunch of other pre-Coppermine-T Coppermine-based CPUs (SL4P2, SL5DV), and all of them proved quite unstable at both 66, 100, and 133 MHz FSB clock.

So I ended up blaming the motherboard and replaced it with a VIA Apollo Pro133T-based Shuttle AV18 v3.1 (AV18v31) which turned out to be so much better than the ECS motherboard I originally had. The new motherboard accepted each and every Socket 370 CPU I had available, from a 500 MHz Celeron Mendocino to a 1400 MHz Pentium III-S.

Thanks, everyone.

Case solved.

Reply 6 of 8, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a guest system built around the ECS P6VAP and it runs perfectly fine. I'm using a 1.13Ghz Pentium III CPU I had in a dual socket 370 build and I haven't encountered any stability or performance issues with it.

When I got the board it had 3 bloated - no - exploded capacitors (they looked kind of like half-popped popcorn) and would post but would lock up in bios or after booting (if I pressed F1 at the CMOS error message) just like you're describing. I replaced the four caps next to the CPU socket with panasonic low-esr and it's been running great for over a year now. Before the 1.13GHz coppermine I had a 933MHz P3 in it.

The rest of the system is composed of a Geforce 3 Ti500, a AWE64 value and 256MB of PQI PC133 SDRAM (1 stick).

Reply 7 of 8, by unix_junkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2021-07-12, 18:45:

When I got the board it had 3 bloated - no - exploded capacitors (they looked kind of like half-popped popcorn) and would post but would lock up in bios or after booting (if I pressed F1 at the CMOS error message) just like you're describing. I replaced the four caps next to the CPU socket with panasonic low-esr and it's been running great for over a year now. Before the 1.13GHz coppermine I had a 933MHz P3 in it.

Socket3, thank you for your response.

My own ECS P6VAP-A+ motherboard is in almost "new" condition -- i. e., no blown capacitors, nothing (otherwise, I would have replaced them already -- Panasonic low-ESRs are good indeed). The problem I was describing above is indeed purely CPU-specific: Mendocinos work fine, Coppermines don't.

Still, the new Shuttle replacement is one of the best ISA-capable P-III motherboards -- it even has the built-in SoundBlaster chip which can be turned on/off from within BIOS. This is absolutely perfect in case you need not only a DOS-compatible sound card (enabled with TSRs under DOS), but a full OS-agnostic SB-compatible one.

Reply 8 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just came across some capacitors last week, Gloria brand, that had straight sides, flat top, and had blown out at the bottom. It was very hard to see when they were installed, but if you inspect around bases very carefully and see any sign of anything that might be capacitor juice then change them. Funnily enough those were on a Shuttle.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.