VOGONS

First post, by Cyber Akuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was given an old Pentium 4 Laptop, it's listed as a "HP Omnibook xe4400s" and I saw the model number "CRVSA-02T1-90".

It's a pretty bulky thing, but I noticed that the bulk means that it can house a floppy drive, dvd-burner, and battery all at the same time without having to swap any of them. And it apparently has a discrete GPU. The only thing it's missing is a hard drive and the battery is shot, but it works off of AC ok (Though I will also need to find a proper AC adapter for it).

I figured this could be a good system to dualboot Windows98/XP on and use for older games. (Though, since it was designed for XP, finding drivers for Windows 98 might be an issue, if not impossible) but first, I need to put a harddrive in it.

I figured since 2.5 IDE/PATA drives are getting harder and harder to come by, I could just add some modern compatibility by using a cheap M.2 to 2.5 IDE adapter, that way I basically would have a "SSD" in it (Yeah I know it won't offer much benefit) and it would be easier to get parts.

The only question is, how big of a M.2 SATA should I get? I have no idea what it's max supported drive size is, and trying to Google it and downloading any manuals I could find didn't give any answers, only that the official OEM HDDs went up to 60GB.

Can anyone think of any way to determine what the largest supported drive would be before I waste money on a drive too big to be supported in it?

Reply 1 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HP will have documentation for this....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The laptop should support pretty much whatever, but pretty sure Windows 98 is going to be limited to 128GB unless you use the R.Loew patch for larger drives.

The SSD will be waaaaaayyyyy better than any HDD. You will have way higher throughput and seek time is infinitely faster.

Looking at the specs, it looks like there should be Win98 support for all the important hardware.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by Cyber Akuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-26, 21:56:

I tried, I couldn't find it in any of the documentation I was able to dig up.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-26, 21:56:

The laptop should support pretty much whatever, but pretty sure Windows 98 is going to be limited to 128GB unless you use the R.Loew patch for larger drives.

That's kind of the problem. I have no idea if the hardware supports drives over 128GB. If it does, I could get a 256GB drive and basically split it in half, 128GB for 98 and 128GB for XP.

If not, then I would just get a 128GB and go 64/64.

Looking at the specs, it looks like there should be Win98 support for all the important hardware.

That's good news to hear. Any idea where I cam start looking for them? I couldn't even find the original OEM XP drivers since HP appears to have taken down the pages for that system and similar older ones.

Reply 4 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can find out for sure by looking at the BIOS. Maybe somebody at one of the BIOS forums can help you with what exactly to look for.
In my experience the vast majority of P4 mainboards with non-EFI BIOS supports boot drives up to ~2TB.

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyber Akuma wrote on 2021-05-26, 22:05:
I tried, I couldn't find it in any of the documentation I was able to dig up. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-26, 21:56:

I tried, I couldn't find it in any of the documentation I was able to dig up.

That's kind of the problem. I have no idea if the hardware supports drives over 128GB. If it does, I could get a 256GB drive and basically split it in half, 128GB for 98 and 128GB for XP.

If not, then I would just get a 128GB and go 64/64.

That's good news to hear. Any idea where I cam start looking for them? I couldn't even find the original OEM XP drivers since HP appears to have taken down the pages for that system and similar older ones.

The drivers aren't going to be specific to only that system. In XP, you can look in the device manager to get the PCI IDs of the different hardware and then go from there.
Here are a few of the drivers, etc.
https://www.helpjet.net/files-HP-OmniBook-xe4400.html

This page has links to the hp ftp, where the files do still exist:
http://hpnotebookdrivers.com/model/hp-omniboo … ook-pc-drivers/

This page also has downloads for drivers. Looks like it has a Conexant AC-Link sound chip. Supposedly it has Sound Blaster Pro support but I am not too sure about that:
https://devid.info/v2/catalog/model/112633/hp … k-xe4400/lng/en

Here is a Windows 98/2000 and maybe XP driver for it - hopefully it works:

Filename
sound-sl10-xp-613108355.zip
File size
637.46 KiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Public domain

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good way to take an educated guess is find out what chipset a machine has and it's maximum supported size, then you only have to worry about bios limitations.
This seems to be based on the ALi ALADDiN-P4 chipset, although I'm struggling to find its max supported HDD. admittedly I only did a brief search
The 2TB stated above would be my guess as well, I'd think your safe with a 256GB drive

Reply 7 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like to HGST or Hitachi 80gb. thru 120gb. 2.5-inch hard drives.
They are much better than the original drives.
And work well with WinXP.
i think they are 7200rpm drives.
IBM travel star might also make some.

These use to sell new on eBay for about $30.

Reply 8 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-27, 13:31:
I like to HGST or Hitachi 80gb. thru 120gb. 2.5-inch hard drives. They are much better than the original drives. And work well w […]
Show full quote

I like to HGST or Hitachi 80gb. thru 120gb. 2.5-inch hard drives.
They are much better than the original drives.
And work well with WinXP.
i think they are 7200rpm drives.
IBM travel star might also make some.

These use to sell new on eBay for about $30.

Why are you suggesting spinning rust? The OP already said they want an SSD.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK