VOGONS

First post, by Bjorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found a Compaq Deskpro 4/66i in an eWaste bin. (Such a pretty machine!) The first time I started it, it ran fine, but it quickly developed some issues. Apart from the onboard video memory going on the fritz (I'm working on a solution for that), the keyboard controller seems to have died.
I'm getting unrecoverable "303 - Keyboard Controller" errors every time I boot. The keyboard lights up briefly when the machine powers on, so I know it's getting power, but that's it.
The controller chip is not clearly labelled, but I seem to have found it. It's this Intel L3173056 chip:

20210602-221028.jpg

I can't find a lot of info about it, but I suspect it's a (rebadged?) programmable controller of some kind not specifically for keyboards.

What I've tried:
* Multiple different keyboards (all work on other computers)
* Checked continuity between all the pins on the ps/2 port and the chip
* Contact cleaner in the ps/2 port
* Checked for corrosion around the pins of the chip
* Cleaned with isopropyl and compressed air around the chip
* Disconnected everything else on the computer
* Attached a mouse (for what it's worth)
* Contact cleaned and reseated the Dallas chip (for what it's worth)
* A few other things I can't think of right now

I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to electronics, so I'd love to hear somebody else's idea before I start wildly desoldering and making an even bigger mess of things!

Reply 1 of 3, by Bjorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some extra info:
Specs are: 486DX-66, 16MB RAM (upgraded at some point from 8MB?), 512K Onboard SVGA with Motorola chipset (not working), onboard "compaq business sound" WSS clone without FM synthesis, 2x IDE HDDs (~200MB OEM Quantum Prodrive and ~300MB Caviar)
Everything apart from the Keyboard controller and the VRAM seem to be working. The dallas chip even showed the right date when I could still get it to boot!
Here's a picture (I've cleaned it since, and it looks very pretty):

20210521-184106.jpg

Currently I have a 512K Trident card in it, since the onboard graphics aren't working.
I'm lucky it works at all - the bottom of the case was pretty rusty, but no moisture seems to have made it inside. Just a lot of dust. Other computers in the bin obviously came from the same site and were not so lucky - their cases were open, and all the components were corroded beyond hope. This was the only computer that seemed salvageable. It also nicely fills a gap of ~1993-1995 in my vintage computer lineup!
It feels like the poor thing is just trying to die quietly on me. But not on my watch!
I can't blame it though - I'm pretty sure it came from a community centre where no doubt it had a hard life. It has Windows 95 installed, which it's really underpowered for, and probably got hours of daily use from all sorts of riff-raff who didn't appreciate it. And then it was just left to rust away in some shed for years.
So, if I can bring it back to (as close as possible) orignial condition, I will give it a charmed retirement of MS-DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1 and a bit of light gaming, in a nice safe dry room haha!

Reply 2 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Common board layout, but watch for the isa riser type. Another motherboard be had on ebay. deskpro i and profinea series is common. I picked up 2 and spare motherboard over the time.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.