VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently added another build to my collection..
It uses an unbranded mobo ...running an AMD K6 cpu and 512 mb ram ..
I wanted to boot all early versions of windows ...but using individal IDE hard drives on a pull out caddy system.
So far I've successfully built hard drives with the following OSs.
Win95OSR2
Win98SE
WinME
Win20000 SP4
The mobo has both ISA and PCI slots which are mostly populated with a 3com network card ...Voodoo3...Adaptec scsi card ...A startech USB pci card...and an SB Live card.
Yes the mobo has no onboard 'devices' other thab IDE and Floppy controllers.
I have the drivers installed for all cards in all operating systems ...and is working well....though I had to add a patch in Win95 to support the CPU.
Ok ..to my question..
I am now considering Windows for Workgroups 3.11 ....which I suspect will be a real challenge as I believe it doesn't natively provide support for PCI cards ....and drivers will be a huge problem ?
So ...I think I've found voodoo 3 drivers ....but the Live sound card ?
Do drivers even exist for this card under Win3.11....or should I abandon the idea of adding a pre win95 operating system.
comments welcomed.
rgds
VS

forgot to add ..
the reason for the scsi card ..
I also have a 4gb scsi drive internally which I use to back up all the operating systems upon completion to .
That way I dont have to rebuild an OS from scratch if it gets messed up.

and the final question for the moment ..
I have a spare sim slot ...
Can I add an extra 256mb stick of ram ...without making Win95 or Win98 unstable ? or should I stick at 512mb

Reply 1 of 4, by jmetal88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know for Windows 98 there is a patch you can install for larger than 512MB, or I think there is a configuration file you can edit to set an upper RAM limit, but if you don't want to mess with that then yes, you should stick with 512MB.

As for the sound card, I don't think there are Windows 3.1 drivers, but there are DOS drivers: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html
You can probably set it up for SB16 emulation and install the SB16 drivers in Windows 3.1 as a workaround.

Reply 2 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I remember it, windows 3.xx only doesn't support plug and play, if you have DOS utils to nail down the IRQs it isn't a problem.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vipersan wrote on 2021-06-07, 12:57:

and the final question for the moment ..I have a spare sim slot ...
Can I add an extra 256mb stick of ram ...without making Win95 or Win98 unstable ? or should I stick at 512mb

Here the patch to adjust Win 9x for RAM that exceeds 500Mb:
http://www.geocities.ws/kmf_0002/windows98.html