VOGONS

First post, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI,
I'm almost sorry to post this, I know CF/SATA IDE adapters have been discussed a lot as I've been though many threads already, but as someone suffering from what I call 'digital claustrophobia' I am having a very hard time considering to spend more money on a CF adapter + second hand 4/8 GB cards than in a SATA adapter + brand new 120 GB SSD (that's how prices are around here).

So I'm looking at this cheaper CF adapter in the hopes to reduce this cost.

Anyone has any experience with them?

For starters this would go in a Socket 7 system running DOS (6.22/7.x) , probably Freedos too, but I'm unlikely to install win 9x on it.

BUT if I ever get ahold of a socket 3 o 5 board this will likely be moved there, so I need to keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance!

cf-ide-2.png
Filename
cf-ide-2.png
File size
132.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
cf-ide-1.png
Filename
cf-ide-1.png
File size
337.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by AngryByDefault on 2021-06-10, 23:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If they work, they work. These are passive devices, nothing to worry much about.
For the first one you'll need a cable and a place to mount it in the case.
The second one can go directly on the IDE connector of the motherboard, but you obviously loose the option to add a slave device.

Reply 2 of 16, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uhm, it's nice to hear this should be as simple as that.
Just in case someone else has a comment, and to save him/her from a potentially lengthy write-up, I will add that I'm aware that with larger disks old OSes and BIOS probably won't see them in full and that there is a universe of software overlays and utilities I might have to dive in.

Reply 3 of 16, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those devices work fine and cause no issues, however not all computers (mainly old ones, like 286 or 386) seem to like working with any CF card. I have not had any issues with Pentium machines using those adapters, though. Only annoying thing is that they use the floppy connection instead of the HDD molex for power.

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably more of an annoyance with more modern PSU and more ancient PSU than circa 1990ish to 2003ish PSU which might have had floppy power on each "vine" of drive connectors, whereas later they only came with a single one, and prior, not at all. But they're a common/standard pin pitch, so it's not hard to splice something to fit, just label it well if it doesn't have the alignment tabs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 16, by jmetal88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah compatibility has a lot more to do with the system and the CF card than it does with the adapter. For example, there are some CF cards for whatever reason that are locked to 'removable device' mode and most vintage systems won't boot from them. Very hard to tell which are like that without just trying for yourself though.

Reply 7 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some of those adapters have a jumper to switch between 5v and 3v3 volt, of those that have this option, there're those that use diodes to drop the voltage, which isn't very nice, and those that use an actual LDO regulator.
the latter are hardest to find, though slightly better.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 16, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still looking at my options and I realized "133x" in the not-so-expensive cards might mean only 15/20 MB/s , which I assume is low even for DOS gaming...

What would be a usable speed that I should be looking for? 50 MB/s? 60 MB/s?

Also, generally speaking, what size of card could I expect (*) to be recognized by a socket 3/5 board using overlay software?
Just 2 / 4 GBs at best or there is some chance for bigger cards?
(*) I know there will be no guarantees as it varies due to several factors.
(Sorry, for every post I find pointing in one direction I find another one suggesting the opposite...)

Edit: I've found most on my "disk & partitions size" questions answered here:
Re: cf 4gb in dos 6.22

TIA

Reply 9 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Low for dos gaming is like 500kb/sec, which is what you'd get on an era and budget* appropriate 80MB PIO mode 1 drive on an ISA controller. Past the mid 90s you might get 2.5MB/sec on your fancy DMA mode 2 1GB drive in 96... then 5,10, 15, 20, until 30MB/sec was reasonable at around 99-00 and then 40 50 60 (introduction of SATA1 🤣 the drives can't soak ATA133 yet) 70, 80...

* what normal gamers could actually afford, not the thousands of dollars 5MB/sec caching SCSI controller with the thousands of dollar 350MB full height hard drive that was "out" in 93 so obviously everyone had one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-06-10, 23:52:

I'm still looking at my options and I realized "133x" in the not-so-expensive cards might mean only 15/20 MB/s , which I assume is low even for DOS gaming...

The question is, does the socket 7 motherboard you intend to use support UDMA? It was not common, UDMA was introduced in 1998. If not, you won't even reach the limit of a 133x card with that controller.

Reply 12 of 16, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-11, 14:15:

Low for dos gaming is like 500kb/sec, which is what you'd get on an era and budget* appropriate 80MB PIO mode 1 drive on an ISA controller. Past the mid 90s you might get 2.5MB/sec on your fancy DMA mode 2 1GB drive in 96... .

Great references. I guess making a first attempt with a modest card will be worth the "risk".

konc wrote on 2021-06-11, 14:44:

The question is, does the socket 7 motherboard you intend to use support UDMA? It was not common, UDMA was introduced in 1998. If not, you won't even reach the limit of a 133x card with that controller.

Both boards (still undelivered actually) seem to support UDMA (UDMA33 one, UDMA66 the other), but it is obvious now (to me) that if I ever get a Socket 3 it won't have UDMA.

Based on this I've decided to try to get one of the "known-to-work" adapters and get a second hand card as a first attempt. BUT I'll get the adapter from overseas through a new "ebay-ish" site at a third of the local cost;

so I'll be also testing that sourcing with a small purchase, great deal if it works, not so painful if it doesn't....

By the time I get an Sk3 (if ever) I will have some hw to try before forking the cost of a modern SSD for a meager 4 GB card that might not even work for me.

Thanks again!

Reply 13 of 16, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-06-11, 17:46:

Both boards (still undelivered actually) seem to support UDMA (UDMA33 one, UDMA66 the other), but it is obvious now (to me) that if I ever get a Socket 3 it won't have UDMA.

Socket 3 will probably tops at PIO 4 mode, so i'll be OK with that CF.

Reply 14 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2021-06-10, 14:26:

If they work, they work. These are passive devices, nothing to worry much about.

I think the same. The only thing I noticed with a few of the simpler adapters is, that they do not have the traces for DMA.
Anyway, that's no issue in MS-DOS (and Win 3.x), normally, since it is entirely PIO driven.
The only exception of DMA use I can think of is FreeDOS with one of its optional UDMA drivers.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 16, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so FWIW I got the one from the first picture but with a molex connector.

So far so good, it seems to work reliably and it even has a master/slave jumper. Doesn't have any activity lights, as some fancier ones, but it is doing its job at a third of the cost.

I still haven't run any thorough test yet but had zero issues so far. I tried both 40 and 80 wires cables and two very different mainboards.

I hope to eventually run some benchmarks and post'em if there's any point to it.

Regards.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad to hear that it works! ^^

If you like, you can these for benchmarking, for example:
- CheckIt! v3 or v4
- SpeedSys
- Syschk
- Sysinfo by Central Point Software or Symantec

NSSI and Dr.Hardware Sysinfo may also support benchmarking, not sure if it works for HDDs, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//