VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

Since I have decided to migrate my Ultimate Voodoo Pentium III system over to a GP7-700, I have to make some changes. The Gateway case has two 3.5 bays, but only 3 5.25 bays. The current case has 2 3.5 bays and 4 5.25 bays. There is a DVD drive, CD burner, a Live! drive, and a 5.25 floppy drive installed.

The Tabor III motherboard bios supports only 1 floppy drive, but it does allow for a 5.25 floppy to be assigned as the a: drive. I have an internal SuperDisk that is natively supported and will handle all 1.44MBN/LS-120 needs, and I bought a Rosewill ATA133 controller for my CF-IDE drive, allowing me to set up two larger drives, two optical drives on the motherboard port, and the LS-120 on it's own port. However, I want to keep all of my drives.

Months ago, I bought a Procom external 5.25 floppy drive, but I lack the cable and connector card in order to use it. My beige 5.25 floppy isn't working, so I removed the Procom from the external case and internal adapter, and I connected it as the b: drive in the current system (Asus P2B.) I can remove the adapter, leaving an open slot in the external box. I found 36" floppy cables and extension cables, and a massively long molex cable. The idea it to put the floppy back in the case, and run the long ribbon cable and molex cable out of the case through the top most slot above the AGP port, and set up the drive as an internal; a: drive in the external case. This would be awesome, because I originally wanted to use it externally and have look cool next to my other external devices on my computer desk-hutch.

Are there any known limitations with cable length for floppy drives? If there are known limitations, I will go back to the drawing board rather than buy cables that I won't be able to use. I am assuming 36" will work, due to the fact that they made them that long, though I may need to add a 12-18" extension cable. I figure that the molex length will be fine, as it is simply an electrical cable.

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's definitely limitations on the length though can't recall which. I do recall the longest floppy cable I ever used was 1.5m. Probably long enough for your needs.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shugart is a terminated bus with a ground wire parallel to every signal wire in the ribbon. It's much more tolerant than say IDE and similar to single ended SCSI in cable length requirements

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one at work hooked up to a Modcomp that was at least 10 feet away at the user terminal. We used it to backup the reel to reel tapes. They can go a pretty long distance.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals